911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Has anyone seen this 930?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
rsrfan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Why is is listed on a UK website and the car is in MA.?

With the devaluation of the dollar in relation to the Euro, it may be a good move. It is my understanding that a lot of our cars are heading back to the old country lately.

JP
Old 01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
slowhand
AutoX

With the devaluation of the dollar in relation to the Euro, it may be a good move. It is my understanding that a lot of our cars are heading back to the old country lately.

JP

My thoughts exactly about the choice of site.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 PM
slowhand
AutoX

I just received this from the seller on the car...

"I have had this car since 2000. The ad you saw on the google search was probably mine. I took the pictures while the car was still running thus there are more miles on it than the pictures show. The car was not running when I put it in storage. The problem may be something as trivial as an electrical relay. Nothing has happened to the car in storage so it is just like you saw in the pictures. There was a 5mph front end tap into the back of another car. The front hood does not stays very slightly open at the front and the front air dam has been repainted. The car has not been hit otherwise. I don't have any tracking info on the car, unfortunately. Thanks for inquring.
Joe"

Any comments? sh
Old 01-05-2008, 09:51 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Having someone who can do a PPI might help on the engine even if it's not running. Like the guy says, it could be something really simple.

I did notice that he has a rollbar in it. Maybe it was tracked some?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:55 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

ask for a VIN and Carfax it...
also look into any liens that might be on the car.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by slowhand
Man, you guys are good. A lot of great opinions on this and I appreciate the responses. Does anyone know of a top Porsche shop in the area that could do the PPI?
I have some of the same questions about the car as most of you stated and I am waiting on an email from the seller to disclose some additional information. You guys have given me some good things to pin down during the negotiation process as well. Thank you. ZX3tuning had a great point about old gas and I suspect that all of the fluids need purging and changing to be safe before taking the car out for a spin. Just to be clear, I know nothing about Haltec systems, so I am going to find someone in my area who does. "..a man's got to know his limitations."
Waiting on an email.....Have you talked to him on the phone too? Just asking the obvious question because I can't image buying a Porsche without getting to know the owner pretty well beforehand.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 PM
slowhand
AutoX

I have asked for a VIN # to get a carfax report. By the way, the car was set up by the origional owner at Body Motion in N.J. for the Siver State Road Race, which was cancelled by the time the car was finished. This car is really a race car that looks like a street car. over 600hp at the crank and 487hp to the wheels. I'm concerned about drivability day to day and if there are any problems registering the car in Texas due to emissions.
Anyone want to weigh in with an opnion?
SH
Old 01-07-2008, 07:53 PM
JFairman
Racer

Sounds interesting for sure... It has a halfbay intercooler that most people feel is good for up to 450-475 horsepower on pump gas. I don't know if it can't flow enough air for 600hp or if it just can't cool the intake air charge enough.
If it really makes 600hp, I'm thinking that is on race gas and 1.2 bar or more.

For Texas emission testing it's hard to say. You may have to temporarily put a catalytic converter on it to pass, and you may have to put on an air pump and all it's miserable plumbing too if you can fit it in there with the way that car is set up.
The cams that are in it and how they are timed will affect emissions too.

I think you could make it pass with some work, but I don't know how strict they are in Texas about that.
Looks like a nice car for someone that wants one set up like that.

Or... you could move to Florida, they don't do emissions testing here
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I keep wanting to say I know that car from VIR a couple of years ago. I emailed the brother of the past owner to see if it is.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 PM
DDD
Pro

I have asked for a VIN # to get a carfax report. By the way, the car was set up by the origional owner at Body Motion in N.J. for the Siver State Road Race, which was cancelled by the time the car was finished. This car is really a race car that looks like a street car. over 600hp at the crank and 487hp to the wheels. I'm concerned about drivability day to day and if there are any problems registering the car in Texas due to emissions.
Anyone want to weigh in with an opnion?
SH
Looking at the engine build, I don't see anything that leaps out and says 600 hp.

I would say 500 hp at reasonable boost levels is more likely. In fact, it would not shock me if the 487 hp is in fact at the crank and something got lost in the interpretation when the car changed hands, and the legend grew.....

Not saying I am correct, just saying that the car doesn't even have a modern turbo or individual throttle bodies or anything exotic to get into the 600 hp range. In my humble opinion.

Still a very very fast car. No doubt.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:36 PM
slowhand
AutoX

Thumbs up

That is great input DDD. That's why I asked for help from this forum. You guys have the best collective knowledge anywhere. Of concern to me is that the seller has not responded to my messages for a VIN# so that I can CarFax.
Smells a little funny. Maybe he is busy and hasn't had a chance to get back with me. Assuming that'e the case and he comes through and it's clean, does anyone know of a good Porsche shop or mechanic in Western Ma. that can do a PPI? I need someone who understands the mods and can evaluate what is wrong.

Strange behavior for a guy who wants to sell. Opinions?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:14 PM
DDD
Pro

That is great input DDD. That's why I asked for help from this forum. You guys have the best collective knowledge anywhere. Of concern to me is that the seller has not responded to my messages for a VIN# so that I can CarFax.
Smells a little funny. Maybe he is busy and hasn't had a chance to get back with me. Assuming that'e the case and he comes through and it's clean, does anyone know of a good Porsche shop or mechanic in Western Ma. that can do a PPI? I need someone who understands the mods and can evaluate what is wrong.

Strange behavior for a guy who wants to sell. Opinions?
Personally, I would not buy a car from somebody unless they spend a lot of time with me on the phone or face to face. I know I am not as hip to this new digital age of EBAY that some people are, but I just would not buy a 'condition unknown' Porsche that has been sitting for six years without a very high degree of trust and confidence in the seller.

Not saying that you can't get to that point, but if you don't feel like that guy has your back, you might want to look around some more. The thing that you want to avoid is that you end up getting pressured into making a deal quicker than you would like to if the guy is elusive about issues and you just start to get impatient and want to buy the car so badly based on a pipe dream.

So just really take your time whatever you do, and there is no big deal in just buying another 930 from somebody else. There are plenty of 930s that start right up, and if you are patient enough, you might find another seemingly great deal.

I would not leave any stone unturned if you really like this car. And when you do get the VIN#, have a garage make sure the number matches all around the various places on the car.

If the seller is elusive or impatient or won't spend his time and due diligence with you, I personally would walk away.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 PM
DDD
Pro

One more thought occurs to me. Why in the world doesn't the seller resolve the starting issue?

I would insist that the seller gets the car to a shop, perhaps of your choice even, and fixes the starting issue. In return, you pay for a very complete inspection of the car. I would not pay for any transportation, it is not your fault the car doesn't start. And make sure he knows how to get it to a shop without damaging the car. As in flatbed towing and pushing the car on the bed, not using tow hooks.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Checked with my buddy and it's not the car I thought it was.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 PM
slowhand
AutoX

Thanks for checking A930rocket.
DDD don't worry, I'm not on such a hurry that I want to make a huge mistake. If the guys calls back, I will address some of these issues that you discussed. many thanks.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen this 930?