Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Best Way To Jack Up The Front?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007 | 10:32 PM
Bernard
Pro

Default Best Way To Jack Up The Front?

Do we have a jack point up front? I need to get both wheels off the ground and install jack stands. What is the best and safest way to do this?
Old 10-23-2007 | 11:19 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

The safest way is to jack one side up and then the other using the jack points behind the front wheels. Any other technique like using a piece of plywood behind the lower A/C cond. is risky plus you have to have a long nose low floor jack.
Old 10-24-2007 | 10:44 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

There is a rub bar under the front end that you can use to raise the nose, but you've got to be sure you only have pressure on that bar and nothing else. Otherwise it'll take out the cooler and a bunch of sheet metal. Until someone with a lot of experience jacking it from the front shows you how its done, I'd stick with the lifting each side. as Rudy said above.
Old 10-24-2007 | 08:24 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

My 87 has a lift point behind each front wheel well. Maybe yours does as well? If you have a floor jack, you can use that to lift it.
Old 10-25-2007 | 09:40 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

I use the lift points for the jack stands when jacking up the front I use a saftener and use the mounting pivot point for the sway bars
Old 10-25-2007 | 04:00 PM
vascott99
Instructor

Could someone post a pic of some sort that would help
Old 10-25-2007 | 06:19 PM
Bernard
Pro

I did see the bar in front of the cooler, I guess that would be safe to use.
Old 10-25-2007 | 06:34 PM
loot87
Racer

If you use the front jack points to jack it up, how do you get the jack stand on the same point?
On the 964, we use the REAR jack point, which raises the front and rear. We then put the jack stands under the front jack point. To jack up on all four, we then jack under the engine so we can put jack stands under the rear jack points.
Old 10-25-2007 | 06:40 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Dude...

Simplist is one side at a time at the forward suspension mounting point on each side. Some cars have a loop attached to the rounded cover that hides the center of the 3 bolts that attach to the pan.

And NO it will not bend the pan, control arm or pull suspension out of line!

Once up, you should see the area either behind the wheel or usethe area close to the jack (yes on the a arm to put your jack stands.

P-
Old 10-25-2007 | 08:32 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I place my jackstands under the front control arms or torsion tube. That jack pad is pretty small to me to place a jackstand and then get under the car.

He was asking about the front though. Using the rear jack pad works as well. Just need to jack it up more.

Originally Posted by loot87
If you use the front jack points to jack it up, how do you get the jack stand on the same point?
On the 964, we use the REAR jack point, which raises the front and rear. We then put the jack stands under the front jack point. To jack up on all four, we then jack under the engine so we can put jack stands under the rear jack points.
Old 10-25-2007 | 08:34 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use the jack points behind the front wheels to jack the car up and then put the jack stand on the rear attach point of the A arm. If you have the V shaped jack stand mounts you can use either end of the arm tube as close to the mounting point as possible. I strongly do NOT recommend using the front condensor protection guard bar. The bar itself will hold the car ok, but the ends of the bar are squeezed flat to accomadate bolts and that is where it looses a lot of its strength. Any part of the car that normally supports the cars weight is a good spot to put the stands. Be careful though because these cars can be moved while up on stands with some aggressive wrench turning or pulling. NEVER get under your car without at least putting a stand under it next to your head, even if it doesn't actually support the car at that moment. I knew a pilot who was working on his car in his driveway using concrete blocks as stands that failed, and he is still in a wheel chair today, (30 years later). Figure the cost of something like that versus $1200 or less for a scissor lift and it doesn't seem like a choice at all.

Quick Reply: Best Way To Jack Up The Front?