911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Annoying vibration noise...help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:44 AM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Annoying vibration noise...help

I have been trying to track down the source of a small annoying vibration noise with no luck. Sounds like a small piece of metal is loose somewhere and I get the noise only when moving. I have been focusing on the dash area with no avail. I decided to pull all the front carpets/mats and now the noise is more prominent and appears to be from under the car. Banging around with a rubber mallet underneath hasn't helped source it either.
Is there anything in the suspension that would have a rolling vibration? Everything looks good.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try different settings on your fresh air panel. I had a fresh air butterfly valve that would flutter while moving but not while parked. It was not closing fully and would allow just enough air to pass to rattle it.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a rattling, growling noise coming from my dash area and it drove me crazy. would happen mostly when first starting out, but would settle down to almost nothing, even over bumps and hard turns. I pulled the gauges and moved stuff around inside looking for anything loose. nada, zero.. dead end.

then I turned my attenton to the 'trunk/bonnet' or whatever we call that space up front. ended up being some loose 'things' in the 'smuggler box'... that space where the blower and A/C stuff resides just below the cowl at the top of the trunk/bonnet. tightened things up, twist tied and nylon clamped all that moved and NO MORE NOISES....

hope my experience helped.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:12 PM
JFairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try checking all the rocker panel attachment bolts and plastic spacers to see if they are tight.
Also the adel clamps that hold the AC and oil lines in place.
If it's more of a clunk over small bumps and you have bilstein front struts it could be a worn roll pin in the bottom of the strut that secures the shock insert rod.
Driviing out the roll pin, and reinstalling it rotated 180 degrees may help if thats it.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:16 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have pulled the gauges and checked up front. The vibration happens while rolling at almost any speed. It is actually worse at slow speeds because my exhaust won't drone it out. Bumps do seem to increase it. It even happens if I turn the car off and just roll along.

Quick Reply: Annoying vibration noise...help