Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Ok, I tested my AAV and it closes at 350 degrees

Old 10-15-2007, 02:41 PM
jly535
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I tested my AAV and it closes at 350 degrees

and at room temp it is about 90% open, does this sound right? I also took apart WUR and didn't see anything obviously wrong, I blew through and sucked through little valve it was accuating up and down, does this sound like it is ok?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some trial and error may be needed here. I remember when my AAV wasn't opened up enough at room temp, thus I wasn't getting the high idle from my cold engine. There is a way to adjust how opened or closed it is, via driving in one of a couple of "pins" on the body of the valve...which is what I did to get the thing opened up a bit more. I'll have to see if I can find the thread where some all-knowing board member turned me on to that idea.

Another thing that you may want to explore, assuming all your high idle problems are AAV related, would be to put a valve in-line with the rubber hose feeding the AAV and use that to restrict the amount of air entering it. Start the car cold, experience the 3000 RPMs that you've mentioned, and close the valve until you get something closer to 1500. After she's heated up and the AAV has closed somewhat, you may find the idle dropping to where it should be. You can get the same effect by pinching the hose closed, so why not take it one step further and make it infinitely adjustable? Just a concept in my mind, never tried.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok, I tested my AAV and it closes at 350 degrees