911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Who has a GSF Intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:01 AM
mdurbahn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has a GSF Intercooler?

Anyone using the GSF intercooler? I couldnt find any info on the Search. Fitment issues?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
DDD
Pro

Albert at GSF has his intercoolers made by extreme intercoolers. They just make it in the sizes he specifies. They make perfectly good intercoolers.

The actual performance difference in different intercoolers on the market is very minor if they are the same type core and same relative size. In other words, a GSF product will cool the same as a blown6 or $4000 protomotive, ect.. Yeah, you can create the perfect IC, like some people have at this site for themselves, but all in all most store bought intercoolers are close in performance.

As far as fit, this is were it gets interesting. The GSF intercooler is very basic, so you will need to run the hose lines to it and also connect it up to your engine. None of this should be very hard, I think, but that is where you are saving the $$$ and doing some of the fitting yourself. If you go with a more expensive intercooler, it should have more plug and play features. The blown6 are plug and play at this point, from what I have heard, but I don't know firsthand.

Remember, with the long neck intercoolers, you want to remove your old fashion recirculatory assembly/boat anchor and install a newer C2 style valve.

B+B makes a short neck IC which probably just maintains the older style recirculating unit you have now. IA has those.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:57 AM
DDD
Pro

I have been looking at photos of the GSF product from their website and also blown6 photos that Mike sent me, and I am noticing that the GSF intercooler sits really far to the back of the car, overhanging the back of the engine, in order to get a straight shot into the turbo, and I don't like this because it will tend to make your car squat more with weight that high and far back.

On the other hand, the blown6 also are heavier, and they sit pretty far back too.

I wouldn't mind finding an intercooler that you could position a little more forward of the engine crossbeam (where the motor mounts go).

I just got rid of a lot of squat in my car by removing the rear AC compressor and I don't want to gain the squat back again...

Quick Reply: Who has a GSF Intercooler?