911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

3rd brake light upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 07:41 PM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light upgrade

for any of you guys interested in getting that ugly black box out of your rear view, I've fitted a 21" long, 3/8" diameter red LED clear rope into the headline venting space between the rea window and the roof deck.

still working on getting the black epoxy off the window with hard labor and a VERY sharp razor scrapper.

total cost was under $25...
Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2007, 02:08 PM
ayglass
Advanced

Hey Gino,

That looks great! I've been looking at the LED lights at the local parts store trying to figure out a way to correct the 3rd brake light's poor engineering. Where did you source your new light?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Gino
Racer

HTML Code:
http://www.lightingfx.com/item--LED-Rope-Light--RL-LED
$2.98 per foot.

All you need to buy is some 3/8" diam 12V red LED rope (I bought 3 feet... using on my '53 TD as well) and hard wire into the brake circuit in the zip area. I also bought some end caps, but the diam is too big for the P-car... OK for my TD. no need to use their connectors or wires...

I cut to size so that I left the 2 end vent holes clear... about 20" long. I clear siliconed the open end of the rope to make it water tight (since no end caps). And on the opposite end, you'll see 2 holes in the wall of the plastic rope. I made 2 long soldered points on my stripped wires and shoved them about 3/8 inch into the holes to make connections. Polarity is important so make sure you got that straight before you black shrink tube the end of the rope to your wires. I shot some silicone in that too before I shrunk it.

After I removed the brake box, I clipped off the female spade connectors and feed the wires individually into the closet holes in the headliner to the rubber molding for the headliner area. That's where I connect to the rope wires that I fished through the vent hole... connected them and almost done.

Got some 1/4" double side tape (for body molding so it's good for outdoors) and attached that along the rope and press it into the space making sure I applied pressure where there ARE NO VENT HOLES.... finished.

Obviously this is wonderful at night, but the red LEDs aren't that bright during the daylight. I'll keep my eye out for brighter LEDs, but so far their diameter is too big for that space.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:25 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice.
Keep us updated if you find some 'superbright' LED's
Old 10-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Have you figured out how to get the black ring off yet? I'd like to do something similar but with the 993 roof spoiler/light.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Gino
Racer

Black Ring?

if you mean the black plastic ring attachment device on the window... it's only really good 2 sided tape holding the black trim attachment to the black epoxy on the glass. comes off real easy with help from a hair dryer and a putty knife.

if you mean the black epoxy on the glass... that's another story. my company (Saint-Gobain) actually makes the glass (Sekurit) and I contacted them to ask for assistance in removal of the 'unknown black substance'. they declined to participate citing legal mumbo jumbo and infringment of contracts w/Porsche not to divulge, etc., etc. but, no I haven't figured out a procedure to remove other than using a razor device (window paint scraper or Exacto knife). it seems immune to all solvents I tried. my wrench said just throw a brick through the window and have the insurance pay for a new period style Euro window since they didn't have the 3rd brake light regulation back then.

I haven't done any more scraping. at least I gained an additional 6" x 6" out the back even with the black epoxy trim.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Yes I meant the black ring that remains in the picture above. I want to get rid of it completely.

RT

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light upgrade