911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

sloancars.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
red9thirty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sloancars.com

I've done the search. I found hits but haven't seen were anyone actually bought from him. Has anyone have a "buying" experience from Mr. Sloan??
Old 09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
equality72521
Racer

IIRC, his prices are way high.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an "almost " experience over a 996 TT he had. We did a considerable amount of phone calls and I ended up passing. Mr. Sloan buys/sells the cream of the crop. He specializes in low mileage....and as he puts it so often...."soft summer miles" cars that present extremely well. His cars have been gone thru from stem to stern. I would have no reservations about the mechanical or esthetic health of any car I bought from him....it's just that when he sets his price, it's usually pretty firm. He has Andre Aggasi's 930 on his list and wants somewhere in the vicinity of $90K for it. A lot of money to pay for a car that some tennis star's *** that sat in for a while.

What are you looking for specifically? I am going to be selling my 87 factory slant...damn near mint. It's my avatar....bought a 996TT and wont' be needing two turbos.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 PM
red9thirty
Racer

What are you looking for specifically? I am going to be selling my 87 factory slant...damn near mint. It's my avatar....bought a 996TT and wont' be needing two turbos.

I like the '87, but I prefer the "frog-eyed" traditional front.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:33 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck! Chuck! Chuck!

What the Hell is going on? I just saw you toasted your 996. Then your buying a 996TT. AND now you are selling your 930 Slant?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I dont' know....I'm toying with the idea of finishing off the projects I have going on the 930 and staying with one car. Insurance was surprisingly benevolent in their settlement so I thought...what the hell, time to jump into a TT. I am vascillating on the 930. I used up some of my cash reserves and need to replenish them....I love the 930, but my clutch knee is going out....the 930 clutch...as you well know...is mechanical....not the easiest on a 66 year old knee. I was really looking for a TT in a tip, but couldn't find one that fit my fancy.

I'll be upgrading the headers on the 930 with a custom SSI, put in a new turbo, replace valve cover gaskets, install Brian's adjustable WUR and spiff it up....then possibly see if there's someone out there who would appreciate a one of 48 factory slant cab in mint condition.

I realize that it seems that I'm doing a lot of multi-directional "stuff".....but I think I need to get back to just one car that's a bit easier for me to drive.....and that.....as Paul Harvey says....is the Rest of the Story!!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Hodds
1st Gear

Just bought a 77 930 from sloan. Seems like a stand up guy. He has some beautiful cars. Worth a trip to his shop just to see some of the rare cars.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:22 PM
ferraripete
Racer

my co-worker just bought a car from richard in the last 3 months. he is pleased w/ richard and did buy a very nice factory turbo look cab that was properly represented and at fair money. a very nice car and a solid buying process.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sloan

I've done several things with Sloan. last year i bot a few high end cars from him which included the Seinfeld 993 TS and a few other very nice examples.

Richard is an amicable, hard working fellow. He has a ton of knowledge about buyers and sellers. he also has helped me sell some of my cars at great prices probably the best sale prices of any deals since most of the time he represents the car on consignment and we agree to sellers' fee. he gets a great price, and i do better.. he has a good feel for the market and has his feelers into all kidns of people. he was able to help me sell my flatnose black just recently and frankly did so taking a very reasonable fee which left me doing far better.
as a buyer, he was able to help me get the orange rs. the dealer who had it had a few people looking at it. we were al apparently all around the same price. i asked sloan to call the dealer, did he know them, he did, and the dealer did the deal with me/sloan since they have a relationship with sloan. he asked me, nor the dealer for a dollar based on that.

often, sloans' primary limitation is that he doesnt alwys inventory/buy for himself all the cars he lists, or knows about. this is contrast to Ray @ RPm. when its your money at stake, you make sure ave its only th ebest. if its a consignment, there is less downside in having somethig with some small items. plus, richard does a lot of business and volumes can make it harder to be fully tuned into the full condition of every car, if that were ever possible.

bottom line, he's a legit, stand up guy. like any, and every dealer, you better inspect and check the car, the history, paintwork? bodywork? lineage? clear title? does the dealer own or just consigning?

i have also had good experiences with Ray @RPM and Mike@ Truespeed. All very legit guys. thats most important to me.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:49 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
snip ...I love the 930, but my clutch knee is going out....the 930 clutch...as you well know...is mechanical....not the easiest on a 66 year old knee...
So then you need a G-50 tranny (hydraulic) upgrade eh? <snicker><snicker>
Old 09-29-2007, 12:21 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Originally Posted by spg993tt
I've done several things with Sloan. last year i bot a few high end cars from him which included the Seinfeld 993 TS and a few other very nice examples.

Richard is an amicable, hard working fellow. He has a ton of knowledge about buyers and sellers. he also has helped me sell some of my cars at great prices probably the best sale prices of any deals since most of the time he represents the car on consignment and we agree to sellers' fee. he gets a great price, and i do better.. he has a good feel for the market and has his feelers into all kidns of people. he was able to help me sell my flatnose black just recently and frankly did so taking a very reasonable fee which left me doing far better.
as a buyer, he was able to help me get the orange rs. the dealer who had it had a few people looking at it. we were al apparently all around the same price. i asked sloan to call the dealer, did he know them, he did, and the dealer did the deal with me/sloan since they have a relationship with sloan. he asked me, nor the dealer for a dollar based on that.

often, sloans' primary limitation is that he doesnt alwys inventory/buy for himself all the cars he lists, or knows about. this is contrast to Ray @ RPm. when its your money at stake, you make sure ave its only th ebest. if its a consignment, there is less downside in having somethig with some small items. plus, richard does a lot of business and volumes can make it harder to be fully tuned into the full condition of every car, if that were ever possible.

bottom line, he's a legit, stand up guy. like any, and every dealer, you better inspect and check the car, the history, paintwork? bodywork? lineage? clear title? does the dealer own or just consigning?

i have also had good experiences with Ray @RPM and Mike@ Truespeed. All very legit guys. thats most important to me.
nice post...and i agree.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:05 PM
spad01
Instructor

I have bought only one car from Richard Sloan. An 87 3.2 Carrera with 12000 miles. The car was absolutely perfect and I would say it was better than actually represented. Unfortunately I had to sell it to raise cash to buy a 97tt Blk/Blk coupe (8600mi)which wound up costing me another $9000 to have fixed after the underlying engine damage was revealed. Richard is like a whirling dervish, constantly talking, moving and dealing but I would not hesitate for one second to buy a car from him. Unfortunately he had no 993 tt"s at the time. I would have definitley prefered buying from Sloan. He stands by his cars because he procures only the best, that's why he has to charge more. HE will insist on getting a PPI before you buy his car. I wish I had kept the 3.2!

PT
Rhode Island
Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Hate to contradict those who responded but he is not so upstanding as some may have you believe. All used car dealers are just that. He has been caught in lies and has had issues just like others. I know of a few people that were extremely happy and a few that after paying top dollar had to drop serious money into repairs.

His biggest problem is he does nothing with the cars until he sells them. They sit in cramped quarters for long periods without as much as a battery tender or air in the tires. He has some of the car he lists and some are on consignment I would prefer to buy one on consignment because if he has had them for a long period they have not been started and or cared for.

It doesn't mean you won't get a good car from him but buyer beware. My other peeve about him is he won't let Dan Jacobs inspect the cars. Dan is by far the best guy in the area and they know each others habits too well.

Lastly he usually gets his facts wrong about the cars. I have spoken with him several times and he tried telling me things about my turbo that were so far off base I was astonished.

I would definitely give him a call and feel him out, each sale is unique,it is up to you to make sure you did your homework properly and then he has some very nice cars to chose from.

Good Luck
Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck, Don`t tell me your leaving the fold for some modern TT deal---impossible! From a Sloane standpoint, I first met the guy when we were producing and automotive exhibit at Yale in NH and he was trying to move a GT350(long time ago--but a nice car). Anyway I have spoken to him a few times since and I think he tries to have the cleanest low mileage stock available. I do agree that having a car sit for a long time is deleterious to everything in the car(Mine was sitting for years with very low mileage when I bought it and it was costly to make right) . But, what I like is that he perceives the same high value in these cars that I do and that is a very positive thing. I sometimes thiink I should have given a test drive to that black Ruf he had.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Daley: The market is all wrong for selling a show quality factory slant....so since I don't need to sell it, I'm going to hang onto it for a while longer and enjoy the diversity between the air and water cooled turbos. I'm working with Ben and Brian on a set of SSI headers with 46mm Tial, B6 intercooler, Brian's adjustable Wur and solenoid, new front/rear fuel pumps..;.. and a number of other bolt on mods.....so I plan to get those done, enjoy the car for a while longer, then market it properly. So...I'll be here for a while longer.

PDQ: Glad you added the snicker-snicker. Although the 89 hydraulic clutch and G50 are an improvement, the obvious value of the car is stock. The PO just put in a new clutch one month before I bought it, so it's got a lot of life left in a new clutch.....now the knee is another matter!

Quick Reply: sloancars.com