Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

cross wind handling sensitivity

Old 09-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cross wind handling sensitivity

Just wondering if it's a normal characteristic of the 930 to be somewhat sensitive to wandering when hit with strong cross-winds. Where I live, windy conditions are not uncommon and when hit from the side I'm having to do minor little corrections to keep on the straight-and-narrow. Could just be the nature of the beast, just as the wide tires want to do their own thing with road irregularities....or suspension is getting a little worn. Your thoughts?
Old 09-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Stratman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a very windy area of the country. When I had the stock front bumper, and stock tail it would wander and get moved by big winds. Went to Ruf front and rear bumpers and a Turbo S tail. Problem solved. I did have it corner balanced at the same time so I don't know if that helped too.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:24 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be your camber. I don't have any problems with twitchiness in cross winds. If your camber is zero or slightly in at the bottom, the car will become darty when steered and in a crosswind you would be steering to correct the wind imput and end up with a twitchy feel. Just a thought.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the ideas. I guess it's time to take her in for an allignment check.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:48 AM
DSPTurtle
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an alignment and corner balance last week. My car is still very twitchy in crosswinds. I have heard about this phenomenon since I was a kid just learning about Porsche's. Apparently it has something to do with that big, beautiful tail as the non-tail cars seem to suffer less from it. Thank goodness for countersteer
Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Noah930
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Interesting question, Mark. I was driving through the Grapevine Pass area on I-5 yesterday, and noticed the same thing. Even though the roadside trees were only moving a little bit, I could hear the crosswinds, and definitely felt them through the steering wheel. Once I was back on the flatlands, where there was no real crosswind, the car felt planted, again. I've got a stock front valence/rear tail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cross wind handling sensitivity