911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

When to throw out a turbo....

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default When to throw out a turbo....

I've gone through several turbos on this motor and this time it seems to be wearing out gracefully. It's a highly modified 3.6 with EFI etc. The turbo is a fairly big K29. It makes about 600hp or maybe more on a cold day.

The car still runs fine but there is a lot of play in the spindle. You can feel it with your finger. The big clue is the cloud of smoke on start and the oil dripping from the air intake hose on the turbo. The motor is completely dry other than the oily mess dripping from the compressor intake.

I suppose it's not worth rebuilding this antique again. Hopefully it can last till spring.

Next time maybe the K27-HF2 might make more sense. Turbo prices have come down quite a bit. Here's a picture of the current turbo...

See pics of the car in general here...

I'm thinking the HF2 because of compatibility with an oil cooled car. Not sure about the ball bearing turbos.

Mine is the largest turbo I have ever seen on a non-pro race car. I really like how it pulls up the back straight. Even the HF2 looks quite a bit smaller. I'm concerned I am going to be giving up something.

Any words of encouragement?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:23 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a question, did I see a full bay IC with the AC still in place? Who did that work Peter?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:33 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Who built your engine? Why don't you ask them which turbo they recommend since they know the motor and know your driving style? If you think the K29 provides good power, you'll be amazed at what the newer turbos will do. And since you've done so much to that thing, don't even think of a turbo that begins with a K....

Do a seach on turbos in this or the Pelican forum and you'll find everything you need to make a decision.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

It's a 964 engine and it has 993 air conditioning. The condenser was moved to the left front wheel well where the washer bottle used to be.

As for the turbo, my mechanic did give me some options. I'm doing some homework to research what others have done.

My thoughts on the KKK were to hopefully not have to learn any new lessons with a new technology. i.e water cooled turbos on a non-water cooled car etc.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

I use a GT35r (P trim, .82 AR) turbo on a highly modified 3.4L motor. Ironically, the GT35r has a water cooled center section that I use on a non-water cooled car. I always let it cool down before I shut down - always.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:35 PM
PT
Racer

Peter,
Since this will pretty much become your garage queen, you may as well get one of the K27HFx and call it the day so you can have some fun if & when you take her to the track... So you don't have to go thru another "hell" to get to the reliability / build that you have now.

If you would revert to the mostly track route (yes - I was fun playing with you ) then Don's suggestion should definitely be a consideration...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Ah so! I thought it was different. Just couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks Peter, looks like a great project. Keep us posted.

Jim P.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 AM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The HF2 will give you the reliability to drive it when you want without sacrificing the power- should be a great match to your EFI.

Quick Reply: When to throw out a turbo....