911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

problem fuel distributor

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Roger Barfield
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem fuel distributor

Im new here so bear with me. I have a 1985 930 and do not drive it much at all.Ive owned the car many years and the last couple of years Ive had to install 3 fuel dists. in it.Is there a sollution to this problem, my mechanic says i dont drive it enough.The car caught on fire sunday. It has B&B exhaust and flames were coming out of both sides when if shut off.When it cooled off and i tried to crank it it wouldnt crank and thank god it didnt becxause when it turned over fuel flowed from some where down the engine block and all over the floor.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What other tests were performed to your injection system? I would have started with the WUR (warm up regulator)...especially after 3 fuel dizzys! As for the leaky fuel, not counting something obvious like a bad fuel line, poor hose connection, etc, there is a vent on top of the WUR (normally connected to the bottom of the air box) that can dump fuel. You might also have a leaky injector.

EDIT: I mean the leaky injector might have allowed too much fuel into the combustion chamber thus causing the muffler fire.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM
sand_man
Drifting

A drained gas tank and new fuel filter would also be a good thing in a car not driven much. Hell my car is driven daily and even when it sat for several months while I rebuilt the engine, I emptied the gas tank to be sure I only had fresh gas.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Roger Barfield
5th Gear

My mechanic says the piston is sticking in the fuel dist. This is a euro car and had to wait 3 months for the guy in cal. to get the last one at 3500.00. That was the diagnosis on the phone last night.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:31 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by Roger Barfield
My mechanic says the piston is sticking in the fuel dist. This is a euro car and had to wait 3 months for the guy in cal. to get the last one at 3500.00. That was the diagnosis on the phone last night.
Is that $3,500????? PLEASE stop him!!!! There are other options!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:34 PM
sand_man
Drifting

These folks can rebuild it:
http://specialtauto.com/porsche-parts/index.html

Also, Imagine Auto (site sponsor on Rennlist) might have some options.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

roger, Please do not pay that much!!! EVER!!!!! There is a place in TX where you can get a rebuildt euro distrib for about 500 bucks.... with a core... If no core, its around 700 bucks....

Heck for 900 bucks, I have a complete euro CIS system for sale to include distrib...all lines, fuel injectors, NEW phenolic blocks, intake mani, WUR, and a custom air filter setup......

3500?????? WOW.......
Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM
sand_man
Drifting

I get the impression your "wrench" is working this "Euro Car" angle a bit too much! There are some differences between the euro version and the U.S. version, but what he's quoted is out of line. You don't need some dusty NOS Porsche part to fix your problems.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Not sure I would every go back to this guy again, pretending to help while screwing you out of $3000.00 is not someone I would even let change the oil in my pickup. are you sure he actually replaced the last couple?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:17 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Roger, if you aren't comfortable/capable working on your car (I don't mean that as an insult, so please don't take it as such), please let us know your location so maybe a new wrench could be recommended. It is getting harder and harder to find a shop familiar enough with early iron to be truely useful and/or trustworthy. Many us figure we can't do any more harm to our cars than a hack grease monkey...who'll also sodomize our wallet in the process - so we take the wrenches to it ourselves! Once you get a few DIY projects behind you, these engines start to make sense. Then scary things *REALLY* start to happen!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:52 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

the few thing I cant do I take to a guy who also races a 930 most of the other porsche places around town dont like working on the older cars.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:03 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell him to stop working on it now. There has to someone nearby who can do it cheaper or you can do it yourself with simple hand tools.

We're here to help you.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Roger Barfield
5th Gear

I live in winter haven fla.Ive talked to a guy in tampa named Dave White.He races and builds race cars. Thought i would give him a call.I can work on most american cars but never tried my porsche.Sounds like you need a lot of Fuel presure guages that might be different from what i have.I really dont do the car justice,i should drive it more often,Its slope nose and my girlfriend seems to always have folded clothes on it.HaHa.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:47 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Dave white racing has been around a long time he has just sold his shop to his shop manager, who is also a reputable guy. the guages you are talking about are a set of CIS gauges JC whitney sells them for about $60.00
Old 08-06-2007, 07:37 PM
JFairman
Racer

It's sorta funny. I ordered the $60 CIS guages from JC Whitney last fall...
.. a few weeks later they sent me a pathetic set of junk taiwan 3/8" drive extensions in a plain white box.

I called, they rma'd them back, my credit card was credited.... that was the end of that.

Went to Harbor Freight and they have a fuel injection pressure test kit that was on sale for about $9 that isn't made for testing CIS pressures, but it is a bargain and you could probably take 2 of them and fab something up for around $25.
The kit comes with a nice rubber covered gauge, a bunch of brass fittings, some hose and hardware.

Quick Reply: problem fuel distributor