Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Probraking fronts installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rotors run about $100 each directly from Probraking (probably from Pelican now). I ordered a second set because of this issue and have them stored in my garage. I'll weigh them this weekend and post. MAybe a photo as well. They are not floating (2 piece) they are single piece vaned.

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
How much are replacement rotors and where do you get them from? Are they readily available? One good thing about the Big Reds is that any P car dealer can get the 993 TT rotors.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:27 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good to know. I have a buddy who has a Wilwood brake kit on his Mustang and it only uses Corvette rotors modded by Wilwood. Not to expensive (~$200 each), but only one supplier.

Originally Posted by Coyote99
The rotors run about $100 each directly from Probraking (probably from Pelican now). I ordered a second set because of this issue and have them stored in my garage. I'll weigh them this weekend and post. MAybe a photo as well. They are not floating (2 piece) they are single piece vaned.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coyote99,
I'm impressed that you went with a great upgrade outside the "porsche box" created by those selling aftermarket parts for our cars. Great job!
E-man
Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

I thought there would be only one supplier as well (hence the extra set at purchase), but my local mechanic told me he could get them duplicated off the extra set I have. I hope Probraking stays healthy, Dave was great on the phone and with the shipping and they seem to be a very sound product.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 PM
E-man930
Banned

BTW,
I forgot to compliment you on that excellent fullwing designed intercooler from Protomotive... I think certain half bay owners who track their cars may be jealous...

Last edited by E-man930; 08-16-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Thansk E-Man, I am not a purist, but I often think the OEM parts are worth it. In this case the options for me seemed limited and potentially outrageous.

Originally Posted by E-man930
Coyote99,
I'm impressed that you went with a great upgrade outside the "porsche box" created by those selling aftermarket parts for our cars. Great job!
E-man
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

I love that intercooler, it's what got me to check out the car in the first place. Prototech did the installation. They are supposed to run 95% efficiency (?), which seems like a ridiculous number but others have said this to me. The car runs cool all the time, even on hot (100+) DE track days in Missouri.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 AM
E-man930
Banned

would you mind taking measurements of the stabilization bars? (I'm assuming aluminum or steel tubes, with tapped tapered end cap welded on, with jam nuts and heim joints) I would like to know if they used metric hardware or SAE and what dimentions... You don't have to measure anything but the diameter of the tube and the size of the hardware used to fasten it to the intercooler and engine atachment point.... Actually, I would love some up close pics. I'm about to make my own setup once I get a good design down. Much thanks in advance...
Old 03-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

E-man...did you fabricate your stabilizer bars. This is an old thread but I thought you might have it done and could post some pics.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 AM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the calipers seem fine, I question the rotor size. The stock Carrera is 24mm x 289 vs. the Protech rotor of 32mm x 286 (could be a typo). The biggest problem in braking is dissipating the heat. I've read by only increasing the caliper size and staying with the stock diameter rotors you worsen the problem because your generating more heat from the bigger clamping force but the rotors can not dissipate it fast enough. This would cause the rotors to warp faster. I see this at the track with people using the Boxster up grade kit. The Protech rotor seems to be about 40% thicker than the Carrera rotor, is that the same as going to a bigger rotor. The front 930 rotors are 300 x 32.
The other concern is not up grading the rears to closer match the front. This would add more heat to the front rotors, compounding the warping issue, and unbalanced braking.

I designed a disk brake system last year for my '68 Crewcab using Wilwood calipers. I spent a lot of time on their site, and talking to them. I found a couple of their calipers that would work with some of the Porsche rotors, don't remember which ones. In my case I used a 4 piston caliper for the fronts which had a 3.5 bolt spacing and worked with the stock vw front rotor, and a 4 piston caliper 3.5 spacing for the rear that worked with a thicker, vaned Audi rotor.
My point is by only increasing the caliper size only gets you half way there.
just my .02.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Good point on the rotor size issue. I would say that they seem much "thicker" than stock rotors and have larger vented vanes between the surface areas.

In practical application, I've run these at Gateway Road coarse several times now, and this track is very hard on brakes, especially with a 400+ RWHP Carrera. I've gone through two sets of pads so far and my micrometer shows no deterioration of the rotor thickness vs. the extra set i purchased new. Also, I have had absolutely zero brake heat issues since installing these. I never di the brake cooling duct work either...no need so far.

Quick Reply: Probraking fronts installed