911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Confused About setting Timing... Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 12:49 AM
Bernard
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused About setting Timing... Please Help

I'm not to sure what I need to do at this point. I removed the distributor cap and lined up the rotor with the notch on the casing and looked at the drive pulley to make sure the marks lined up and they did perfectly. I put a drop of finger nail polish on the TDC mark. My 930 doesn't have any letters stamped on the pulley just the marks.

I then drove it around to warm up the engine, I set the idle at 900 RPM and then set my timing light to 0 and the TDC mark lined up with the fan shroud.

Now my question, with my light set at 0 shouldn't the timing mark to the right which should be 10 degree's be lined up with shroud? Not the TDC mark? If I set my light to 10 degree's the marks move to the right and doesn't line up?

With my light set at 0 the 10 degree's mark should be lined up with the shroud and if I set it to 10 degree's the TDC mark should line up with the shroud? I'm I right?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bernard, if your talking about setting initial timing, your 10 degree timing mark should line up with the case parting line when your timing light is set to 0. If not, you must rotate the distributor just a bit until it does. Then rotating the dial(depending on timing light) to 10 should bring the tdc mark to the engine parting line to double check your work.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Distributor? What's that?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Bernard
Pro

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I played with it this afternoon. As stated my crank pulley has to marks, a notch which is TDC and a V mark which is 10 degree's. I put the timing light to 0 and it lines up with the notch which is TDC I believe it should line up with the V mark. I tried to move the distributor until the V mark lined up with the shroud but I hit the end of the casing and could not move it anymore. I wonder if I rev it to 4K and set my light at 26 and it should line up with the notch at TDC right?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:51 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bernard, I don't know what I was thinking about, but lead you a bit astray. I use a euro dist. and spec which set timing BTDC. I believe your spec should be 10 ATDC? , that would mean that if you have two marks on your pulley, the left mark is 10 degrees ATDC and the right mark is TDC. If you rev it to 4k and then dial in your timing light until TDC lines up, then you have your total advance.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:17 AM
spuggy
Intermediate

Timing specs vary for type of motor, (model, year, market) and possibly also with modifications. The procedure for setting varies somewhat too (mostly for CA-spec motors).

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Confused About setting Timing... Please Help