911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

AFR on my mildly modified car

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:21 PM
stu.p
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFR on my mildly modified car

Now car has been run in,tappets reset,oil changed etc i completed my wur mod by stripping down wur and tapping down the brass insert that sits inside the large spring(brent 930 suggested this best way in older thread).hooked up afr gauge,with the 02 sensor left unplugged on full boost(standard 0.7) i know this is only a first test run and my afr is as low as 9.6 at 3k revs then approx 10.5 at 4k then at about 5k- 6k it finally ends up about 11.5 at its highest and feels a far more clean pull than it does at lower revs(obviously far too rich at lower revs)..i am going to run car at 1 bar boost tomorrow so i am wondering if this really rich issue will look better at the higher boost when i try it,,will i try and fine tune this through the metering head screw if numbers are not still correct tomorrow and will i always leave the o2 unhooked??..
p.s just in case makes any difference the car has sc profile cams,cat bypass etc and some head/valve work which increased flow by 10-15% on head flow bench.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:22 PM
stu.p
Racer

set the boost up on my car today with my manual boost controller,peaks to 1.1 bar for a split second then settles about 1 bar..02 sensor is left unplugged tickover afr reads approx 15.5..cruise on light throttle is approx 14-14.5 once car reads 5 p.s.i. and the fuel enrichment comes in from the wur mod i completed the afr nose dives to as low as 9.6(far too rich) approx 3k revs then sometimes engine can shut down/car stutters like hell till the revs climb to over 4k afr now rising to 10.5, 5krevs 11.5 then finally near red line it has showed the highest(leanest figure) of 12.5 afr.....i can also cruise at 90 mph with light throttle very low boost and the afr can be 13.5,,is this safe????
also on part throttle(light boost) 0.5 bar car also kangaroos/stutters etc!
so my thought was i have knocked down the brass insert in my wur too much thus giving me far too much fuel low down...will i try and knock this brass insert back up in my wur to decrease the amount of fuel???..my worry with this is that i will lean it out at top end of my rev band which i feel just now my afr is pretty close...or do i purchase the brian leask rpm solenoid switch which will hold back the fuel enrichment until the revs i desire??..
i know this is a trial and error situation but any advice from you guys out there is more than welcome!!
Old 07-22-2007, 10:33 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

You need to be a bit more scientific about this than you are right now, or you will burn your motor. If you run too rich too many times down low, you will wash the cylinders of lubricating oil and wear your rings and cylinders in short order.

So, take a baseline reading of your fuel pressures using a fuel pressure test system (cold, warm and enrichment). The WUR can be adjusted on three axis, and the gold plug at the bottom is only one. There is another adjustment behind the gold plug and the cold pressure setting is on top of the WUR (recessed plug). The adjustments you make to the WUR should be very small and checked against the fuel pressure tester before firing the engine. After adjustment, check the AFR very carefully. The process is fairly easy, but time consuming

Quick Reply: AFR on my mildly modified car