911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

3.3 or 3.4L upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Helmsy
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.3 or 3.4L upgrade?

Looking at rebuilding my 3.3L engine in the very near future and I am considering upgrading the Pistons/cylinders to 3.4L and twin spark.

What compression ratios are best for upgrades and is a twin plug system required?

What brands of pistons/cylinders and also rods would ppl recommend and had good/bad experiences?

What is reqired for a reliable twin spark system?

Any info will be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:16 AM
turbobrat930
Racer

I would say for P's&C's, go with JB racing for cyl and JE for pistons.... or contact LN engineering for their "nickies" cyl and maule pistons... either company is good. I chose JB racing with their iron lined cyls...and do not have the motor running as of yet... just a couple of more months, but VERY happy with the guys there and the company.

The general concensus is if you are going to stay with CIS, do not go any higher that 7.5 to 1 on CR....if going EFI, 8 to 1 would be about perfect. Twin plug is thought to be a nessasary mod if going to 98mm bore.. (3.4 L)

Stock rods are good for a street motor as long as you swap out the rod bolts for ARP or the likes...DO NOT use the stock bolts!! If this is going to be a track car...the any of the aftermarket rods would be good IMHO.... carillo, pauter, arrow, etc..

reliable tiwn spark?? well, it is very easy to do if you are going full EFI.. you can also use a factory twin plug set up. Or, just go crank fire.. (IE: only controls spark, you would have to keep your factory fuel system if you go this route)...

You never stated what your goals are going to be with this motor/car combo? Use does make a difference, such as are you going to run race fuel, what boost level are you going to run, turbo/ header combo, etc....
Old 06-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Helmsy
8th Gear

Thanks for your reply.

It will be a street car with a few track days a year but not a serious race car.

I am looking for the best upgrades utilising the CIS system as I am rebuilding the engine anyway and looking for reliability and lasting performance.

So 3.4L p/c @ 7.5:1 would still be ok for CIS and better than 7.1:1?

Is detonation a problem with higher compression pistons?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Helmsy
8th Gear

Cheers thanks guys.

Basically I would like to know what upgrades you guys would do if you were to rebuild your engines using the CIS system.

Quick Reply: 3.3 or 3.4L upgrade?