911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

brians WUR solinoid

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:11 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well check this logic then:

Since I have spliced into the black/violet tach wire inside the engine compartment, I wonder if running a dedicated wire off of the tach gauge itself - from the gauge back to the RPM controller - would help? As you can see, an electrician I ain't! So am I just asking for more of the same or does it make sense that this would help the feedback issues?

The thing is, when I installed the XDi ignition system, I had to do nothing special to make my tach work perfectly. I just ran the wire from the controller to the same tach wiring that the CDI box used, and, viola, working tach. So the signal should be the same, and this signal should be fine for the RPM controller.

Last edited by sand_man; 06-04-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got off the phone with MSD. Tech told me the 8950 will not work with crank fire ign. It was designed to work with a distributor. The part we need is 89561. He did not even no of the part. I told him the part # and he looked it up and said that should work. It is a part that is no longer in the current catalog. I will get it in 3 days. It was alittle pricey but I needed it (150.00). I will keep you posted
Old 06-04-2007, 12:19 PM
sand_man
Drifting

edit: to remove sensitive part info.

Last edited by sand_man; 06-04-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Just wanted to mention that Brian has responded and has generously offered to make my particular situation 110% right! I had zero doubt that he would! He's *ALWAYS* gone above and beyond! The correct RPM controller is on it's way and there are provisions (additional wiring) for a crank-fired wasted spark system, as is my case.

I just want to clarify that there are absolutely no issues with Brian's RPM Solenoid Kit if you're on the stock CDI ignition system or even if you're running an aftermarket coil and/or ignition boxes like MSD that still employs the dizzy.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second that. Brian is always on top of any issues and will respond immediately if not sooner....(huh?). I think he's bench tested his solenoid with just about every possible unit he could find....and like in sandman's case....took care of it ASAP. I had some questions as a result of Sandman's issue...and Brian responded to all the questions and concerns.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
sand_man
Drifting

JBrown, I'm getting confused by how to trigger the new RPM Controller that's supposedly compatible with direct fire ignition.

The White trigger wire (option 1) on the RPM controller will accept a 5V square wave tach signal - the Electromotive controller puts out a 12V Square wave signal, so I'm reluctant to go that route for fear of burning up the controller.

As for the Orange trigger wire (option 2) that can be connected to the coil negative terminal - the XDi DFU wire harness uses three wires (not counting the shielded bare wire and the 12V switched power wire). Each of these wires powers the three separate dual tower coils (wasted spark) - Black, White, Red. One wire for each coil. According to the XDi users manual:

"In the wiring harness, the outputs for Coils A, B, and C are routed in the same shielded-cable housing. These are all pull-to-ground outputs; that is, they create a ground path every time a coil charges. When the coils fire, the outputs “float,” with no connection to ground or power."

So what that hell does that mean? That there is no true coil negative wire and/or poll? Or should I just pick any one of the three wires and splice the Orange wire to it? Tech support has been very vague...I need a deffinate answer.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:58 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

sand-man I got off the phone with electromotive and MSD. They said hook up the white wire to the tach output of the XDI and it will work fine.
Jbrown
Old 06-07-2007, 03:07 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Well, there you have it! I much prefer to do that...the volatage differences just caused me concern.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:59 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

Hey, John here is a link with the 89561 for $87 in case others need it.

http://www.thefind.com/query.php?qS=usr&query=msd+89561
Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Installed the new unit early this morning. Haven't had a chance to take a drive, but the jumpy tach needle has stopped!!!! Cross your fingers...
Old 06-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the verdict?

Quick Reply: brians WUR solinoid