Distributor vacuum unit problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:42 PM
e170drvr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor vacuum unit problem

Hi Guys,
I have an 87 930 with the following mods fabspeed muffler, K27S, 1 bar spring. I feel like my car is a bit of a dog at the low end in 1st and second. the car builds boost fairly well in 3rd while over 40mph or so. I recently discovered that the P.O. had damaged the Vacuum unit canister. The side closest to the fan (advance?) the metal coupling has benn knocked off, and a poor job was done repairing it. I have tried the suck test and the unit is not responding at all. I also found a bunch of rust and crud in the unit. I have ordered a new vacuum unit.

Would a non-functioning vacuum unit cause the car to perform poorly?
Also, I hooked up a vacuum meter to each hose that plugs into the dist. on the advance side I got 14 in. hg, on a warm engine. on the retard side right side toward the oil scavenge line, I get 0 vacuum. I understand that this side goes to the oil breather port and has a thermal switch that is supposed to open when warm, shouldn't I be getting vacuum, here?

Could I bypass this switch and hook the line directly to the top port of the TB for retard? Or should I pull the switch and test it and replace if necessary?

On the advance side the line goes from the dist to one of the two switches bolted onto the BOV manifold. Can I simply remove these valves when I finish removing the air pump gear?

Finally, I have not yet installed headers with my k27S, once I do will I notice any significant low end performance?

Thank you for any help you can give me, I am still new to this car and trying to learn the systems.

Eric

Quick Reply: Distributor vacuum unit problem