Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

996 or 930

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007 | 04:41 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Hey, I guess it boils down to what your bank account says and what kind of driving experience you want.

I've had a bunch of Porsches, was fortunate enough to own a 930 and a 996 for at the same time for a short period...guess which one I still have? I've driven most of what Porsche has had to offer over the last few years. Impressive and as user friendly as they are.. I wouldn't trade my 930 for anyof them except maybe a 94 3.6 or 993TT, and I'd have to think about that!

For me, the 996 had very fluid or linier power..it was fun and did everything well except give you feedback... which in my opinion is where a lot of inexperiecned Porsche drivers get in over there head.

The 930 on the other hand has been around long enough, and everyone has heard the horror stories about handling and being prepared when the boost comes on. The car demands respect from the moment you turn the key... it gives you feedback, it'll make you think first! On the other hand, its an older car where creature comfort was not the first priority.

Gotta decide what floats your boat more!
Old 05-17-2007 | 02:06 AM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Having driven just about every version of the 911 in both N/A and boosted versions from 1967 to 2004 models, my favorite pure fun driving sportscar is a 930 with a moderately built engine (i.e. 450+ Hp), 5 speed gearbox and a nicely tuned suspension (street friendly but D.E. track suitable). It provides more pure enjoyment for me personally, but then I've been driving competitively for 20 years and am a bit more hardcore than the average P-nut. The 996 is a GT car to me and wonderful compromise of performance and comfort but lacking in the exhilaration department. There are excellent deals for those who are patient (how virtuous are you? ;-) for both 930 and 996 cars although surely the 930 will be a bit more challenging due to the age and the customization options that abound. Nice predicament to be in either way eh? Oh for the love of discretionary income in an affluent society ... CHEERS!
Old 05-17-2007 | 02:32 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
Well here I am, asking questions a year out from a long (very long) awaited purchase.

I am starting my reseach into my first Porsche, and I want to start by asking the owners of the famed beast, is the 930 a fair weather once in a while ride?

I have been looking at the 996 I find the rear 3/4 view has grown on me a good deal. So has it's drivability and reliability (other than the RMS hype).

I do have a need for power (the 996's downfall). I know the 930 can get me there, but at what cost financially, reliability and drivability. With a few well sorted S/C kits for the 996 it to can make nice power.

So I wanted to stop in and see what the 930 guys thought, sure you may be a lil biased but thats okay.

Thanks for the help.

oh yea, it also helps that the 996 prices are falling while the 930's are going up. ones a good buy, the other a good investment?

I guess I can attempt to answer your question because I'm fortunate enough to own both. I don't see why you think that the 996's power is a "downfall". I guess if you want to stack it up against the turbo, then you might have a point, but there's certainly nothing wrong with the power in the 996...not the same raw power, but it's no slouch either. 0-60 in 5 seconds isn't insignificant. I don't think your original post focused on the 996tt did it? You haven't said what your budget it like, but if money is a problem for you, then you'd better keep some extra stashed away if you go for the 930. They're beautiful cars, but they take constant "care and feeding". Insofar as an "investment" goes, you'd better buy it becasue you like it, you like the way it looks, you like it because it's a Porsche and there's just something about a Porsche. You're not going to make money on just about anything you buy unless it's truly a rare beast. The 996 is a bit more comfortable to drive, AC works great, better gas mileage, options are a bit more sophisticated, and it's a bit more linear to drive. For a daily driver, I use the 996, but for fun...those weekends running thru California gold country or over on the coast highway....it's the 930. The 930 is a bit more demanding and tiring to drive long distances....but I'm 65, so my age and stamina might factor into this equation.

Hope that helps....
Old 05-17-2007 | 10:13 AM
2000wrx
Instructor

Thanks for all the help so far guys....

So far I am thinking the following cars are in the same budget range to purchase and all offer something a little different. I will have to drive some of each to get a feel for what I want.
996 3.4L (maybe a 3.6L price depending)
964T

I think most of these can be had for low to upper 30's. Though I am still researching to see how accurate that is. I love the "idea" a the 964T, seems like a nice balance between the 930 and 996. Not to mention I love booost >) But I have read that the 964's car be very problematic, the N/A's at least.
Old 05-17-2007 | 12:47 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

I think 964s are best bang for buck right now (NAs). They get treated like the stepchild of the lineage b/c their blimpie appearance turns a lot of people off, but the improvement from the 911 to 964 is just extraordinary. Not even worth comparing in terms of performance, braking, comfort, suspension, amenities, and yeah some functioning HVAC. I think the C4s are the problem childs with expensive fixes on AWD.

You could spend $22-23K on a really nice 964 NA and have enough cash to add some nice rims, aftermarket stereo, and suspension to give it better handling and still come in around $30K and have a terrific driver for all occasions thats a lot more reliable than a 911/930 and less costly to maintain.

You cant substitute boost, but sometimes we forget that even those 964NAs are damn quick cars with no lag.
Old 05-17-2007 | 01:43 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

One of my many problems is looking at a tubo body car... I just can't see not having that wide rear. As for boost... I love factory turbo cars, the ease of extra power is just soooo nice.

I will look at the 3 models I mentioned above next year, drive each, research each to death, and see where each is in the marketplace.
Old 05-17-2007 | 02:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have to agree the 964 N/A is the best bang for your buck right now. Yes it is not a widebody but still a stunning looking car if dressed with the right shoes and the right color. You can pick up some very nice 964's for very little. If you add a light weight flywheel and some suspension work you can have a very nice car. Not much slower than a stock US 930 either. The 930 is much easier to pump up the power however.

IMO the 996 3.4 liter is one of the worst 911's ever made second to maybe the 74. Despite the 74's lack of power it still drives like a 911. The 996 3.4 lacks everything that makes a 911 so special. The cable shift linkage and lack of low end torque not to mention they are still dropping in price. These cars just feel heavy and give very little feedback to the driver, however for a daily driver they are fine. The 996 3.6 is a step better but still not a car I would purchase. They are not slow but do not inspire like other models. The 930 is a raw beast and not for everyone, the 964T IMO is the best of all worlds. Rear wheel drive single turbo upgraded brakes, tranny and stiffer body with better A/C, air bags and ABS. Downside is they weigh about 300 pounds more which you can feel over a 930.

A nice 996TT can be purchased for $55k lately with low mileage. It is a hell of a lot of car for the money. The 964T's unlike the N/A's appear to be rising in price. The 94's are becoming ridiculously expensive. I am lucky to have purchased mine when I did because they are becoming unobtainable at a reasonable price. The 993TT's are great cars but very civilized in comparison.

If you need a wide body they did make some 964's in widebody. They were C4's and IIRC only made about 200 of them in 1994. I saw one for sale in the classifieds a while back for around $35k. Great car although can use a brake upgrade. For about the same price you can pick up a nice 993 N/A.
Old 05-17-2007 | 02:37 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

If I could buy today I would lean toward the 3.3L 964T, for me I think that is a great car. I am sure you could drop a few pounds from the car to help the overall feel.

What ever Porsche I get will have to be RWD, I have a Subaru, and it is the only AWD car I want. AWD has a way of saping out the fun a bit.

I have spent a good deal of money over the years on cars that are dime a dozen cars, all the while knowing I have always (since childhood) wanted a Porsche.

I will work toward making sure my finances are in order and see where I stand next year. For now at the top of my bangfor the buck list is the 964T.
Old 05-17-2007 | 05:01 PM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

From a long-term market value standpoint, the cars to keep are going to be the 930s, 964Ts, and 993TTs. I think we've already reached the point where 996TT prices have fallen below 993TTs. I doubt 993TTs have bottomed out quite yet, but 930s and 964s have and are unlikely to be cheaper buys anytime in the future.

I say all of this readily admitting the 996TT is probably better in 9 outta 10 ways to the 993TT. I really cant think of any 911 Turbo that was not significantly better than the prior from a pure "what can this car do" standpoint. Each model is just better balanced, more comfortable at both track and street, and able to put more of the power down. Have the turbos gotten better from a "cerebral" standpoint? I think thats where the market prices reflect the bumps which is about the only (albeit substantial) criticism of the 996TT. The 997TT seems to be getting back to more of the 993TT experience while improving on the 996TTs prodigious performance gain.

Im discussing two different price points however. Things double once you leave 964 land which is why I think any 930/964 turbo is a lot of car and a very safe "investment" (re: rationale the wife will accept) that should only increase in value, espec. the well kepts ones.
Old 05-17-2007 | 09:20 PM
2000wrx
Instructor

hehehe well from my point of view a 964T would be the my first and only Turbo 911 car. I am not a wealthy man, but I have the goal of owning a couple of my childhood dream cars... the Porsche in sight.

That though alone makes a great smile grow on my face. If all goes well I should be able to pull of getting into a 964T. I'm thinking 35Kish (that might be a lil on the low side for a 964T) but I will strech a lil to get into one.

If I take work outside the states that could change things a lot >)
Old 05-17-2007 | 11:33 PM
F350Lawman
Racer

The 996TT is like all the top modern sports car, they offer better dependability, better braking, better acceleration, better handling, a better ride, etc., etc. They only thing they aren't better at....IS MAKING YOUR HEART RACE the way a nice 930 on boost will !!
Old 05-17-2007 | 11:50 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Originally Posted by 2000wrx
hehehe well from my point of view a 964T would be the my first and only Turbo 911 car. I am not a wealthy man, but I have the goal of owning a couple of my childhood dream cars... the Porsche in sight.

That though alone makes a great smile grow on my face. If all goes well I should be able to pull of getting into a 964T. I'm thinking 35Kish (that might be a lil on the low side for a 964T) but I will strech a lil to get into one.

If I take work outside the states that could change things a lot >)
good for you...in some cases the reality does not live up to the dream. in the case of a 930 or 964t, i think you will be just fine!!!!

it is nice to read the excitement in your post...go make it happen!!!
Old 05-17-2007 | 11:53 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
The 996TT is like all the top modern sports car, they offer better dependability, better braking, better acceleration, better handling, a better ride, etc., etc. They only thing they aren't better at....IS MAKING YOUR HEART RACE the way a nice 930 on boost will !!
so true! there are two cars from my child hood that made my heart race and made me weak in the knees...the 930 and the ferrari 512bbi.

i am lucky enough to have them both. nothing like putting on your armour for each ride in these cars...kinda like going to battle. the newer cars just don't create that sensation.
Old 05-18-2007 | 12:09 AM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

I would go with a 930 for sure.

Old 05-18-2007 | 02:11 AM
UDPride
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ferraripete
so true! there are two cars from my child hood that made my heart race and made me weak in the knees...the 930 and the ferrari 512bbi.

i am lucky enough to have them both. nothing like putting on your armour for each ride in these cars...kinda like going to battle. the newer cars just don't create that sensation.
dont even think of posting that w/o pics!

Quick Reply: 996 or 930