911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Dual wastegate setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dual wastegate setup

Hi guys: I found what looks like a really great deal ...managed to pick up an almost new set of 930 SSI headers with heat...but they came with an dual wastegate setup from SSI. The setup looks like it hasn't been used.

I'm in a bit of a quandry here becasue I was looking for a bolt-on performance enhancing approach, but have ended up with what looks like a very high performance 930 application.

What do you folks who know think I should do? I can either off this setup and look for a single wastegate setup...or run this one and pick up another Tial 46mm wastegate to match the one I've got. I don't mind the additional expense, but is it truly worth it for the rather modest approach Ive taken?

Since I'm only planning on the most basic of mods which I've already posted to this forum, I'd like to solicit your input as to a reasonable and prudent course of action. Also, the setup I bought only comes with the headers/heat and dual wastegate setup....doesn't have any of the peripherals with it like the oil tank, or hoses/connectors etc. Where can I pick up those items necessary to make this thing work? Is there a "kit" that would include what I need to put this thing together right?

Thanks in advance for any input here. Chuck
Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some pics would be nice...
Old 05-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Turbobrat: I tried to transfer the pictures from eBay, but they wouldn't come across. The best I can do is refer you to the eBay transaction number 290109583062, and if you go to that transaction, there are a series of pictures of the headers and the dual wastegate setup. If that doesn't work, then in the next day or two, I'll take some pictures of the items and post them.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

315s...my hat is off to you my man...I don't know how you brought that picture over from eBay, but thank you very much. That helps a lot when trying to explain my situation. Chuck
Old 05-07-2007, 03:24 AM
ProtoCab
Racer

I don't understand how that works! Looks like the pipe with the turbo's collector on it is too wide to interface with the 3-into-1 collector on the actual heat exchangers. I don't think it's going to work with what's pictured there.

And those heat exchangers (SSI's) are designed for a naturally aspirated motor, not for a turbo setup. The primaries are way too long and would introduce too much lag. It's not an optimum design for a turbo application. It can be made to work (as proven by Ben @ M&K Exhaust), but you'll have to fabricated a new "collector pipe" which bridges the left and right heat exchangers together with a 2-into-1 merge collector with a T3 (or T4) flange on it.

IMO, it's ugly and you shouldn't waste your time or money, but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like the headers are placed on the floor for the picture on the wrong sides, remembering the heating ducts go under the guards, unlike a NA 964 where they go inboard.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Why couldn't you fab a plate to seal off the one side and run only a single wastegate? That almost looks like a 964 set-up to me, which is a twin turbo. That let's you run the longer tubes w/o so much lag, plus it had the advantage of a more efficient intercooler than the stock 930's. I don't think I'd go with this set-up unless I was adding the second turbo, I don't think it will be as efficient as a stock 930 euro exhaust on our car. Good luck Chuck and let us know what you do.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

GHL or B&B will be a much better performance system. I don't think I would want to buy another Tial to use that system.
That system would need 2 Tials IMO to work properly. It was certainly designed that way.

The headers would be nice for my 3.2 carrera if they are of a large enough diameter

Oh, www.goingsuperfast.com would help you out with getting those aftermarket lines. I would prefer to use the factory parts which you could get from Stephen.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 PM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call SSI and confirm those are 930 heat exchangers. They do make them. They also have the rest of the parts you would need. You can also get the parts through Ben at M&K. Looks like someone made that pipe with the two waste gate set up. I doubt if you would be using it.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

SSI is located in Novato, which is about an hour and then some drive for me. I might just package up the parts and drive over there and have them outfit me with whatever I need to make this right. I was informed that the dual wastegate system was designed for a car running big HP, and it allowed the dumping of big amounts of boost. The better systems I've seen have the wastegate coming out from the center of the Y between the two exhausts

This was advertised as a nearly new (New Old stock) header system with heat for a 930...and I'm not so concerned with the fact it is "ugly" as I am with whether or not it will allow better performance. In truth, I really don't know what pretty vs ugly is for something like this...I'm only hoping that performance wise it turns out to be better than the OEM headers and gives me better boost and some HP. If this is all wrong...then I'll sell it to someone who can use it. I just need the input here to help me decide if it will work.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If your looking for simple bolt on mods, go with a GHL or B&B and single wastegate. Try to cobb this thing together is too much trouble. After you get the 2nd w/g, you'll have to plumb it all together = more work = more head aches. Just my .02
Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck,
My advice is to do what you said about driving up to Novato and let them see what you have and if it is really going to be a good fit for your pretty car. Even though you can always replace the OEM exhaust you still don't want to end up with a junk yard system. As little driving as you do and the nice weather that you have, you might want to consider some of those $449 SS headers. At least they are pretty! Good luck Buddy.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:34 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Rudy: As you said, I think I'm going to try the Novato trip first, then failing in that, I'll look for a decent set. I tried to save a bit of money doing it this way, and I may have just cost myself some instead. If these are SSI's and John at SSI tells me they're a good set, then I might give it a go. Like I said earlier, I couldn't tell you if these are really ugly or not....they looked good to me and the guy said they came off a "very built 3.3L 86 turbo. I took him at his word...and this evening I emailed him and told him that the members of a Porsche forum (being very nebulous) said they were ugly and may not be a good fit. He reiterated his statement about them coming off a very built 930 and as much as indicated "Sorry Charlie, we want tuna that tastes good". I may be booking a trip on the tuna boat soon. The headers are the last thing I need before I start this project. Today I ordered Brian's solanoid, and I got the WUR off another Rennlister that Brian is going thru for me. So all the "stuff" is lined up....and hopefully I can salvage this set of headers with a trip to Novato. If not, I'll be on the hunt for a good set. Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed with myself.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:48 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

That looks like it was simply made more complicated than it needs to be considering it isn't a twin turbo header. With a truly divided collector and divided turbo flange (which this one obviously isn't), then twin wastegates would be necessary to properly implement a twin scroll turbo setup, if that were in fact the intended usage. I say weld in a divider, use a divided flange, and use a twin scroll turbo to acheive some insane response.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is overkill. With twin 46mm you will dump boost so fast that the turbo will not recover from the loss of flow. The system is not going to work well, in addition the length of the pipe will not reduce lag that much either. That is a lot of pipe there.

Quick Reply: Dual wastegate setup