Dual wastegate setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:12 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,
Just a word from a "Wise old guy", wise meaning many mistakes, try not to save money on P-car items unless you are comparing apples to apples. Since you could not compare the headers that you bought with another set, they become oddballs and cannot be priced competetivly. Even if you get them to work you will have to have some fabrication work done and that is not cheap. Then you have to purchase the two oil lines and resevoir. You also have to remove the oil breather tube and hose. If you buy a good set from a peputable person they will have all of the extras that you will need for a direct bolt on. I bought the preformed oil retun line that goes under the tranny to the tank because it looks and fits a lot better than the SS braided line that has to be supported with wire ties or metal loops. The SS resevoir is pretty much a direct bolt on but the hose from it to the oil pump line has to be made and can be purchased from the header people. The temptation to buy stuff from people on ebay is great but risky unless they are regular dealers with a return policy. Now don't you feel better now that I have lectured you! Ha.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The good news is you checked them out before trying to install them. As many here can tell you, we've all spent good money after bad fixing our own screw ups, buying newer/better parts to replace "old" parts, etc.

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
So all the "stuff" is lined up....and hopefully I can salvage this set of headers with a trip to Novato. If not, I'll be on the hunt for a good set. Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed with myself.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strudel: Your advice was well founded. I contacted Ben at M & K as you suggested and sent him a picture of the headers. Ben is a pro at making up the SSI headers and exhaust systems. He said that the headers were in fact SSI, of an older design, and that they were good performance headers....and that "another of his clients would love to have them". He also gave me the Pelican part numbers for some piping, drip tank etc. I told him I was going to take a drive to SSI in Novato and have them go over what I've got and make sure I have all the right parts.....but I do feel a bit better after talking to Ben since he deals almost exclusively with SSI systems. Now that dual wastegate setup might have to be replaced by something a bit more compatible with what I have.

I can handle "ugly" as long as it is in fact a performance system and fits/performs without major CPR. After the trip to Novato, I'll be able to post some more definitive information. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I'll also post pictures once it's installed so you all can judge whether or not the ugly duckling has a chance of becoming a swan. If nothing else, it's underneath and out of sight.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The negative of those headers compared to GHL or B&B is the length of them. They will delay spool up of the turbo. They also probably weigh more.
The positives are they are supposed to be excellent quality. The equal length feature will make more power at high rpm.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:40 PM
RarlyL8
Racer

Chuck - can you e-mail me the contact info for SSI? I have some questions for them and have not been able to find their contact info using the search engines.
Brian@RarlyL8.com
Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 AM
strudel
Racer

Brian: SSI 800-227-1486
Chuck: I have the 930 SSI on my 3.5 twin plug turbo. I bought pretty much everything from SSI and had Jerry Woods fab and install it. He also removed the scavange pump and oil tank, made a custom sump plate for the oil return.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:42 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Ben told me that from what he could see...and the fact he works almost exclusively with the SSI poduct lines....that my setup will work just fine. The whole thing doesn't weigh but about 15 pounds...so it's really lightweight...and the welds are the best I've seen. Whether it remains as a true "performance enhancing" setup remains to be seen.

Regardless of which way it goes, I truly appreciate all the input, suggestions, and opinions rendered here.
Thanks..........Chuck

Oh yes...BTW...Brian shipped me his adjustable WUR and solenoid today, so I have that to add to the mix. Now I just have to quit talking about it and get in there and get it done.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 05-10-2007 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 05-10-2007, 09:51 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:54 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Chuck, they will be better than the stock headers so they are a performance improvement.
Are you going to buy another tial ? If so you may need to fit some sort of small dump outlet to restrict airflow out of them as Stephen suggested they may dump too much exhaust too quickly and cause boost to drop.
The cost of the Tial is the only problem I can see. I personally would rather put that towards shorter headers for quicker spool up of the turbo at the sacrifice of the equal length extra bhp.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I didn't want to start another thread...since this is related to the same car...but I was going thru the option codes and came across this one:

439 Special model "Weissach" [1980

What is a Weissach 1980? I know it has the 505 designation for the slant nose, but I don't know the significance of the "Weissach" and the 1980 date. The car is an 87.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
WERK-I
Pro

My guess it is an interior option code. Same as the limited edition Weissach SC edition. But......that is just a guess.

Quick Reply: Dual wastegate setup