Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

No start, no spark.. electrical gurus help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Well i'm sure I knocked stuff around in that area wrestling with the turbo, Intercooler, and removing a butchered aftermarket AC install but the plug was in just fine. Even after dismantling the plug on both sides nothing obvious poked out at me.. If it happens again i'll have a 15pin plug soldering party and replace the whole thing...
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, now you know what I go through as a shop. You changed my oil and now (fill in blank)
Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an item almost as bad when without knowing it I bumped one of the relays on the left in the engine compartment. My car went from a 900 rpm sweetie to a must-pump-the-accelerator-just-to keep-it-running bitch! Everyone on the forum offered help and it turned out to be the forward most/inner most relay that was just barely out of contact on one pin that caused it all! I had bumped it doing something else. If you looked at it, it didn't look like it had been touched in years. I think that a large percentage of our problems with these cars are corroded pins on the relays and corroded sockets. And when we bump or move one just a little bit, the contact spot is no longer there and that one pin is no longer working.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:45 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 911 rudy, I think are cars are getting to the age the grounds, harnesses, and contacts are getting so dirty and corroded everything is running marginally at best in these old cars. In the mind-set of "don't fix what isn't broken" we don't really ever do anything to maintain or service these issues. Then of course, it doesn't take much to bring the system down by one little change/glitch. If there's any problem I hate on a car its an electrical/electronic one. I can't see those little electrons flowing around and it bugs me trying to figure it all out.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

It's a catch-22 (hmmm, that "22" number again). If you take the time to pull apart plugs that were last touched 25+ years ago in Germany to clean them it *may* be a good thing, or it may dislodge something three feet away in the harness and make you crazy. And I love pulling the tops off those relays when you try and pull them out, leaving the insides looking at you.. Wire brushing (gently by hand) the fuse blosk with all the fuses pulled and battery disconnected is another *good* thing to do, along with cleaning the battery terminals and clamps while in there..
Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost always when I take that plug loose I will hit it with a wire brush and contact cleaner. Also watch for a crack plug. The plastic becomes very brittle with time and they love to crack causing a fitting to fall out of socket.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The round pole plugs in that connecter tend to spread over time as well. If you look at the female end you will see some with almost a 1/16 " gap. I try to gently close the gap with a pick. Also, on the male end you can gently push a pick into the tip and spread them as well. Careful not to spread too far though because you will bend one of the sides out too far and break it off or stick the pick through your finger which can cause you to talk to God in a way you will need to go to confession for!!LOL

Quick Reply: No start, no spark.. electrical gurus help please