Silicone hose for intake elbow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschefile
That's why I'm just running a filter on the turbo. Geez, I think my intake pipe was only a ~2" or at least no more than 2.5", and even that was a tight fit! Needless to say it was a bit restrictive and I noticed a small improvement in spool up by eliminating it. Good luck Jim.
I tried your idea today, but that placement puts the filter between the wastegate and the hottest part of the turbo. You'll be sucking in super-hot air there. Plus you can't fit a K&N directly onto the intake side of the turbo without interference from the engine tin and the turbo oil supply hose.

I found a good, long 90 degree 3" elbow that I ordered from ATP (thanks for the link). I also ordered their 3" inlet pipe. It's shown in the link minus the adaptors. With this pipe I also get a nice opening forsupplying crankcase ventilation.

We'll see how the setup works.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProtoCab
How did you get a 4" elbow to route up into the engine compartment? Not much room there

I had to get ATPTurbo to CNC the inlet of the GT35R down to a 3.25" OD!
You are right about no room. Thats why I routed from the turbo, up through the inner fender well, and back into the engine compartment where the fuel accumulator used to sit - now the filter takes it's place.

When on the engine dyno, I stuck the air filter on the turbo and ran it a couple of times. Then, I replaced the filter with my nearly 4 1/2 ft of 4" tubing with the filter on the end of that. Result? More power using the tubing. The air inlet temps dropped by 20 degrees because the air was not being pulled from under the engine (or right on the turbo). I did the test because air inlet temps really climbed on full pulls and we needed to draw from a cooler source.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:37 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimculp
I tried your idea today, but that placement puts the filter between the wastegate and the hottest part of the turbo. You'll be sucking in super-hot air there.
What he said...
Old 04-01-2007, 10:26 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

FYI - here is an old shot of my air intake through fender into the engine compartment. You can see the 90 degree silicone hose on the other side of the AL pipe (where I fit the 4" KN filter).

FYI

Quick Reply: Silicone hose for intake elbow?