911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Wastegate leaking...need parts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wastegate leaking...need parts!

I started searching through 250 wastegate-related posts, and got tired after finding one that spoke of the same issue I'm faced with, as copied here:

When I tried to rebuild the OEM WG, I found out that there was a sizable leak around the WG valve guide. This is the small hole where the open/close valve moves up and down. When I put air pressure to the actuating side of the WG, I could hear air leaking out of the guide.

I spent the better part of a beautiful sunny morning disassembling my stock wastegate to discover that my lack of boost "waste" appears to be due to the valve stem-to-valve guide clearances being sufficiently worn to allow air to pass through. I need to blow about 25 pounds of pressure into it in order to open the valve, because of the air escaping through the guide. And since I'm not running a 1.7 bar boost (good Gods, man!) this will never do.

I would think that a person could get his hands on a new guide and have a machine shop ream it out to spec.....IF a person knew the spec tolerances and a source for parts. Can anybody help me out here?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:16 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Easier to go the Tial route. Less hassle in the future

Quick Reply: Wastegate leaking...need parts!