911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

EFI Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:31 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
He has totally changed the engine characteristics around the CIS.
Turbine, housing, cam, etc - all to suit the fuel at mid-range.
He has made a diesel engine out of it.
It will come out of the corner quickly, then roll over and die.
who gives a ****, it would still haul ****. Have you been in a modern deisel engine, they are friggin' brilliant.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:14 AM
underpsi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. For those of us keeping the CIS system of course we would want to build around it to maximize it's potential!!

Originally Posted by DeWolf
who gives a ****, it would still haul ****. Have you been in a modern deisel engine, they are friggin' brilliant.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:08 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naaah - it would be stupid. Totally uncontrollable, then dead.
You think your steering gets light now???

This isn't even worth talking about - that's ridiculous.
With that much torque, you need engine work to keep it together - then you will put CIS back on???
Old 02-12-2007, 08:54 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Naaah - it would be stupid. Totally uncontrollable, then dead.
You think your steering gets light now???

This isn't even worth talking about - that's ridiculous.
With that much torque, you need engine work to keep it together - then you will put CIS back on???
WTF are you talking about?... steering getting light??? I don't think you'd put that sort of engine in a stock suspended 930, if you did you'd be a real ' tool '. engine work to keep it together??? lol
The stock crank and rods suitably balanced etc are good for 650HP and around the same torque figures, the rod bolts would need changing granted but 934's, in their first incarnation used a pretty stock 3ltr bottom end to produce over 500hp, and this was in '76.
These cars behave better with more HP, you can alleviate understeer by a quick stab on the throttle. Might be uncontrollable for you, but most of the guy's here with high HP 930's are quite capable wheelmen and can control their cars accordingly. I think your suffering HP envy, lol
Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF are you talking about?... steering getting light??? I don't think you'd put that sort of engine in a stock suspended 930, if you did you'd be a real ' tool '. engine work to keep it together??? lol
The stock crank and rods suitably balanced etc are good for 650HP and around the same torque figures, the rod bolts would need changing granted but 934's, in their first incarnation used a pretty stock 3ltr bottom end to produce over 500hp, and this was in '76.
These cars behave better with more HP, you can alleviate understeer by a quick stab on the throttle. Might be uncontrollable for you, but most of the guy's here with high HP 930's are quite capable wheelmen and can control their cars accordingly. I think your suffering HP envy, lol
Not envious of you, son. You don't know what I am talking about obviously, because you have only driven your slow, stock 930.
I am speaking here only to people have have experienced fast 930's.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:28 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am speaking here only to people have have experienced fast 930's.
You mean like when the sunroof pushes in and the old velvet seals in the windows give at once and you think that there is a possibility you need three hands, two for the steering wheel and one for your #%@s! Ah yes, the good old days when I was to young to know any better.

I use to catch people in a story when they would tell me how fast they had their 930s. I would ask, how was it...They would say "faster it goes the better it feels" and it does, to a point. Then all hell breaks loose and you realize that you are trying to control a car that is sort of in control and you don't make a wrong move and you do nothing quickly. So when every seal starts to push air at once you don't jump, you don't do anything other than see how big the brass really is and when you say chicken.

Even when modified my 930s would hit a wall. That was if the half shafts weren't breaking or the clutch blowing. HP in a 930 is only one aspect of attention in a long line of things that SHOULD be done to be safe. And then it is debatable at SSCC speeds.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:16 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Oh by the way 934 were torn down after every race.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:31 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

In the old days of the 935s the plexiglass windows were bolted in, they had no sunroofs and at really high speeds they'd walk about 2 to three feet when they were supposedly going "straight". I've had drivers come in at Daytona before the chicane was put in saying they were just passengers on the back straight.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:35 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by srf506
In the old days of the 935s the plexiglass windows were bolted in, they had no sunroofs and at really high speeds they'd walk about 2 to three feet when they were supposedly going "straight". I've had drivers come in at Daytona before the chicane was put in saying they were just passengers on the back straight.
lol, still a formidable machine though, 150+ race wins shows some brave drivers.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

special tool,
I'm not having a go at you but not all of us want to rev our cars to 7-8k, especially if it's primarily a street car.The Svens motor would make a great street engine. It would be fast as hell out the blocks and you would'nt have to rev the crap out of it. It would be like a large cube, big HP V8, great fun. Lots of power and torque down low make it ideal street material. Would also be great for Club track days, when you could imitate the drift guy's. I think he's done great to get that from CIS, and that's the point it's CIS, sure it might'nt last long but who knows. Anybody know anyone who has one of his engines.
Different strokes I guess.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 AM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Thought I would get this thread up and running again in Chet's memory. He did change his name to Chet 77 930, but for searching purposes Chet 930 will turn up past threads... May he rest in peace.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dholling13
Thought I would get this thread up and running again in Chet's memory. He did change his name to Chet 77 930, but for searching purposes Chet 930 will turn up past threads... May he rest in peace.
I finally saw the sticky- that's terrible news. RIP.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:53 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

did Chet really pass away from the valley fever? I knew he was sick, but I had no idea. this is very sad news indeed.
FWIW, I will never forget the first time my 965 filled with wind at around 170ish. Scared the snot out of me, and I kind of knew it was coming.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Phil,
Sadly he did. I didn't even know what it was the first time I was told. If gone untreated a person and die from the fungus. The rate is less than 1 %.

Quick Reply: EFI Impressions