Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Interesting Porsche Collection...Plus TONS of Other Great Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Interesting Porsche Collection...Plus TONS of Other Great Pics!

Happy New Years Guys! I have been on vacation for the past couple of weeks in beautiful Trinidad and Tobago (most southerly island in the Caribbean). Which is why I have been missing in action. Its an island of just over 1million people and only 2000sq.miles

The island is an absolute Car Lover's dream, there are some ultra cool cars that find there way down there...from Japan to Europe to the US. I could have taken 1000 pictures easily to share with you. As Trinidad is a former colony of England, everyone drives on the Right.

This is probably the largest Porsche Collection in the entire Caribbean...here are some pics...

1982 Turbo:

These rare Gottis were originally were on the Turbo but the owner converted the car back to Fuchs, sadly the Gottis are just deteriorating as he does not care for them:

His Targa and SC:

The Targa got a fully rebuilt engine for Christmas:

Here was an interesting find. It was bought brand new in 196? by an English Professor who emmigrated to Trinidad and took the car with him. When the Professor died many years ago, his wife, left the car outside to the elements and it naturally deteriorated. It was in great condition when the old guy was alive (mechanically, body etc), when it was bought it is in the condition you see in my pics. It is literally riddled with rust and will require a new floor and full structural strengthening, think lots of WELDING, fabrication and restoration - big$$. The car caught on fire as it was being towed home as the rear brake calipers were seized and the friction started the fire, luckily they were following behind and were able to quickly put out the fire. The car refused to start, but after a few weekend rebuilding the carbs...it actually fired up but belched LOADS of smoke...

Can anyone please identify the exact year and model, as the widow could not remember and the owner is not a 100% sure - he thinks 1965. I should have grabbed the VIN..but forgot. A great Barnyard find especially for a small Caribbean island..

So what does the owner of these 911s drive daily....?
Total Fun...its a rare GT-A spec version imported directly Japan:

So what does an actual Porsche dealership look like in a small Caribbean look like? Opened only 1 year ago and 18cars sold in one year - which is not bad (only Caymans, Boxsters and Cayennes V6 only) - no 911s sold at all. And yes the dealership is shared with Suzuki and Chrysler / Jeep...LOL.

A Cayman S sells for $200K US, because of the ridiculous local importation taxes - Cripes!!

Look Left:

Look Right:

Some rare birds that I came across on my trip:
Full AMG 500SLC

What happens when the Benz / Bosch EFI craps out...weld up the EFI manifold and fit a stupid 36mm Weber on there!! This car ran terribly (surprise...surprise), as the Weber was drastically undersized for the 5.0L and the mechanic was trying to use the factory high pressure Bosch fuel pump - disaster.

'80s XJ6 - fully running:

All Original (even down to all the glass) Vauxhall Velox (straight Six) - fully running:

MG - restored and fullt running and has twin SUs:

Beautiful New AMG \ Carlsson E Class:

A Brand New Phantom - the only one on the island - stunning!

A Genuine R33 GTR Nissan Skyline, owner buying some fresh mangoes from a roadside vendor:

I even witnessed this accident, the three guys in the car, crawled out with ONLY cuts and bruises - how I do not know! The windshield slid 50feet from the car.

Some pictures I snapped at the Japanese Engine Importers! The Audi/BMW noses are from Japanese imported cars that were dismanted in Japan. Anyone need an engine....?

This MR2 and Mitsu 3000GT (note S500 next to it) were imported as full running cars for local Customers:

The roads are rulled by EVOs and Stis, and these Japanese Spec cars are wicked fast and many of them have been modified to run low 11s and some have done 10s in the 1/4:

ENJOY!

Yasin
Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Falk930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool!
been there few times, but mostly hang out on Trinidad.

I guess the Porsche pics are taken on Trinidad?

greetings
Falk
Old 01-19-2007, 09:00 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great pics- looks like a fun spot.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:38 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Yasin where are the pics of the women on the beach in Maracas.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:45 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Falk - Yes the pics were taken in Trinidad.

Linc - The Maracas pics are whole different Media Card full of bliss!

Yasin
Old 01-22-2007, 07:58 AM
SoFast
Racer

Yasin, WHat made you go to Trinidad? Do you have family friends in that area?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:42 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoFast
Yasin, WHat made you go to Trinidad? Do you have family friends in that area?
You got it! My folks retired there about 15years ago and I have other family there as well. Its a lot of fun and this particualr trip was simply great. Good therapy for the soul.

Yasin

Quick Reply: Interesting Porsche Collection...Plus TONS of Other Great Pics!