Wastegate rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Toby930
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wastegate rebuild

Greetings from Sweden

My 930 is in the garage during the winter (as usual) and this year it's time for some small projects with the engine.

We're planning an engine drop sometime after new years and I thought it would be a good idea to rebuild the wastegate and do a valve adjustment when the engine is out. By the way! I've never dropped the engine in my car before and would like a good walkthrough how to do this. I belive there are posts on this forum how to do this, however I haven't found one yet.

So, the reason for rebuilding the WG is because the bolts are quite rusty and we broke one off when we changed to a 1bar spring. However the car is only boosting 0.79bar so I have to find out what's causing this. I'm thinking of replacing the stock 0.8bar spring and later on this spring I'm turning the car in to my local Porsche mechanic. He's thinking of fitting a adjustable valve to regulate the boost pressure. He's also gonna tune in the engine so I get the right CO etc. Probably gonna cost around $1500 but it's worth it if we can put out around 400BHP from the engine. Haven't got any good instuments to check CO AFR etc.

I guess I have to remove the WG even if it means broken bolts and studs. Is there a rebuild kit for the original WG? What parts should I change and can I test it for being sealed? Hope someone's done this and can give me some feedback. I'm running with a Kokeln IC and C2T BOV that I bought from Stephen at Imagineauto. Stephen walked me through the IC install which was a great help! Couldn't of done it without him!

Does anyone know if the original turbo is ok with 1bar boost? I can't afford a k27 right now

That's all for now!

/Toby
Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to the pelican website. They have a good DIY write up on dropping the engine.

You can use a 1 bar spring with the stock turbo, but you'll run out of air.

Also, you can rebuild the wastegate or at lest replace the diaphragm, but if you have to replace studs, the valve, valve seat, etc, I'd look into a Tial wastegate or maybe another brand. There was a post here recently on other WG's that were more affordable.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Peerless
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try........

If you want to stay with the factory WG Call Don at Engine builders supply. He can get you what you need as far as parts go, (I just did one about 340$ in parts) its not cheap but I replaced the valve, guide, seat and diaphragm. At some time in the past the valve snapped off at the head, and the owner drove it for a while like that. You should be able to get away with just replacing the diapragm, if everything else looks good. There's not much to them.

Quick Reply: Wastegate rebuild