Gray market value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Gray market value?

Came across an interesting car ... 1982 930, 45k miles, all original, well maintained, nice condition. It's a gray market car, if I'm correct in my memory that 79 was the last year for the 930 in the US before 1986.

What is such a beast worth, assuming it has no mechanical problems, good leakdown, and so forth? I've owned an 87 930 so I'm familiar enough with the car.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:15 PM
im4duke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a fair opinion in this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turbo-930-forum/280990-how-much-for-the-fatty-in-the-window.html
Old 12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
SoFast
Racer

I would tend to disagree with pricing on US and Grey Market cars. There seems to be an effort to lower the cost of grey market cars. Yes, some grey market cars that have come in may be worth less due to the modifications that were required to make them DOT legal. But, to be honest, grey market cars have an edge. They have all of the euro spec parts that the US conterparts didnt have and are sought after and based on DEQ regs, they do not have to conform to emissions standards like the US counterparts. Generally a waiver will come with the car or can be acquired by the DEQ.

Also, to be honest, the quality of the car is most important. How well it was cared for, maintained and driven. Basically a judgement call on your part. If the car is in fantastic shape, you should be looking at the higher end of the spectrum somewhere around 35ish. IF the car is well used, low to mid 20's.

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:58 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I agree with SoFast. I own two "grey market" Porsches, a '84 3.2 Carrera and a '85 930. These cars have been in the U.S. a long time now. Whatever issues they have had regarding registration, insurance and EPA should have been settled a long-time ago. The only real issue I know of you can still have can be with the insurance company if they can't "find" the car's VIN in their electronic database. Then you have a choice, get them to send it to underwriting and wait until they figure it out (usually about a week) or get it insured through one of the niche "collector" car insurance companies. Other than that possible issue, I've never had any trouble with a grey market vehicle. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:53 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I want to at least take a look at it ... it's had the same owner for 23 years, he's an aircraft mechanic as well as a Porsche mechanic, I suspect its a very nice example.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say about this "gray Vs. USA" matter is that I was completely indifferent when I started my search. I just wanted a good car! It just so happens that mine is an '87 and a US model. Unless you're loooking for a very specific example - an '89 model with the 5 speed, etc - I think you should focus on finding the very best car...the rest will sort itself out. Whether they be US or ROW examples, these things aint' investments.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:05 PM
im4duke
Racer

Originally Posted by SoFast
I would tend to disagree with pricing on US and Grey Market cars....
I think there is a difference between "value" and "pricing".

Many of us enthusiasts would "value" and "price" a grey market car higher than the greater market would because we know the differences, can value them accordingly and may be willing to invest in dealing with some potential title/emissions/regulatory issues.

However, I think there exists a very real perception among would-be buyers who are less familiar with the cars, that the issues are troubling to deal with and may introduce unknown risk and additioanl cost to ownership.

I think this perception drives the average actual selling price of the grey market cars down. Thus, even as an enthusiast, I would expect to pay less for a grey market car even though I don't value it any less.

In the end, I would be just as happy to own a grey market car as I would be to own a US car...maybe happier since it has the aforementioned "improvements" and since I would expect to have paid less than what a comparable US model would have cost. However, I would not look forward to convincing a future buyer of it's value as I see it.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:58 PM
SoFast
Racer

Again, those issue should be sorted out by now. The car has been in the US for how many years? If any issues you may have are those of registration and insurance due to the vin. Simple matters solved by a visit to the DMV with the vehicle or a visual inspection by a representative at your home. Then, if the car is in great shape, maintained well, the value is what the buyer truly is willing to pay for it. Not a perception....
Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 PM
oildog
Intermediate

Here's a factory slant Grey Market Car on eBay for around $35,000, it looks almost too good to be true...... Item# 150069391851
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1851&rd=1&rd=1
Old 12-15-2006, 07:00 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

See my latest post ... price is $27k and it's been stored the last 10 years. Not for the faint of heart but a reasonable price if it's in prime condition.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:18 PM
oildog
Intermediate

I wasn't trying to talk you into it, but it is a great example of an awsome grey market car.
Anyhow, I was going to start a separate thread about it, but just stuck in here, being a one off car built for Dick Barber by Porsche after his 7th Lemans win. It's probably more for a collector type and should end up going for a lot more than 35K.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:35 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

They also used 7 cans of that horrible sticky spray stuff to comemorate those 7 wins when detailing it

Quick Reply: Gray market value?