911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

HKS Boost Controller Settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HKS Boost Controller Settings

I need some help wrt setting my HKS boost controller. I did not install the unit and my knowledge base is all of 60 minutes old. I have a Tial 46mm wastegate with (I think) a .9 bar spring. I am getting ready for my first DE and would like to turn the boost down around .7, which I'm not sure is possible with the .9 spring.

The HKS is programed using pressure values in kPa, so the conversion to bar is as follows:

.7 bar = 70 kPa
.8 bar = 80 kPa
.9 bar = 90 kPa .... 1.0 bar = 100 kPa

It is possible to setup 2 programs with the HKS unit, A & B, for which I intend to setup Program A @ .7 bar (70 kPa) and Program B @ .9 bar (90 kPa). I'd like to focus on Program A for now, but it is important to establish the highest boost program in order to establish a warning value for the unit. So, based on the fact that I will eventually setup Program B @ .9 bar, I setup the warning value @ 1.05 bar (105 kPa). Once established, the warning value is displayed in the top left hand corner of the HKS display.

The next step is to set a boost level and this is where I get confused, as the manual is translated from Japanese and its level of detail is somewhat brief. I selected Program A (red light is on) and pulled out the adjustment **** for Program A and turned it all the way clockwise and 100 kPa is displayed. Using my silly logic, I want .7 bar (70 kPa), so I turned the **** cc until 70 kPa was displayed. Took the car out for a quick spin and hit the boost cutoff switch. BTW, I put 10 gallons of 100 octane in the car before doing something really stupid. I pulled off the road and dialed down the setting to 16 kPa for the program and now the boost was peaking at 9.5 bar (95 kPa). I pulled over again and turned the kPa setting all the way down to 0 kPa and this resulted in a peak boost of .86 bar (86 kPa). While the adjustment was getting me in the right direction, I'm not sure what the value I'm setting for Program A is related to. So back to the manual and it reads:

"Cross reference the digital display and turn volume **** A slowly cc to add to the set value" ... the keys words being "add to the set value", what set value?

It appears that when you turn the volume **** you are adding a value to what is an unknown to me "set value". So by setting the value to 0 kPa, it appears that 8.6 bar (86 kPa) is the lowest boost I can setup in the HKS controller.

UPDATE - while writing this thread, I found another section in the manual that explains what you are setting when tuning the program volume ****. it reads as follows:

"As a reference only, use the display's set value to add (by %) to the stock baseline boost level. NOW this is making some sense. So, by my setting the volume **** to 0 kPa, I have effectively added 0% to the baseline boost, which in my case is .9 bar (90 kPa). At the same time, my initial setting of .7 bar (70 kPa) actually resulted in an overall boost setting of .9 bar + 70% ... wow, 1.53 bar ... thank goodness for fuel cutoff and racing fuel.

Sorry for so many words, but it appears that I must have a .9 bar spring and it is physically impossible to reduce my boost to .7 unless I replace the wastegate spring to something at or less than .7 bar.

I appreciate an insight anyone may have regarding this issue.

Regards, Dave
Old 12-09-2006, 02:34 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is correct, you cannot go lower than the spring in the wastegate. When I ordered my new wastegate I requested a 0.5 bar spring. I will make up the rest with my Blitz ebc. I am hoping to eliminate wheelspin when pulling away with just 0.5 bar.

Quick Reply: HKS Boost Controller Settings