911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Want input on tuneup/test equipment

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Want input on tuneup/test equipment

I'm looking to pick up some tuneup equipment for the CIS system. I would like to be able to tune up and set proper parameters for my 87 930. I did a search but could not find any specific reference to what equipment to buy, and which instruments would be appropriate. I did see one reference to the JC Whitney catalog for a $60 CIS tester.

Can someone out there kindly refer me to a brand/make that's suitable for a home-based guy who likes to tinker....I don't necessarily need expensive professional test equipment, just something that will do the job well. If you have any links that show the equipment along with what it's designed to do, that would be great. I am in the process of collecting Wayne's books as well as some other reference manuals in order to read up on the "how-to".
Old 11-27-2006, 12:35 AM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The CIS tester from JC Whitney should work fine, but I have one from SJ Discount Tools an online dealer that is a little nicer for $85. You would also need a CO tester to propperly tune the car. You can get the Gaston tester for about $200, but I would get a wideband monitor like the Innovate LM1 so you can fine tune the car while driving if should you modify the car.

Quick Reply: Want input on tuneup/test equipment