Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

BlownSix Problems..Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006 | 12:13 PM
Ferrari1
Intermediate

Angry BlownSix Problems..Help

After 3 months I still do not have a functioning intercooler and wanted to see if anyone is having a similar experience. (930 half bay)

I bought my intercooler on September 4th. It arrived 3 weeks later as promised, however, there were major fitment issues. It was not a direct bolt on and the stud sent in the kit was the incorrect thread size. The ports for the pressure sensors were not correct either. A complete engineering disaster! Michael then said that they realized that there were "production problems" and would send me a replacement. As of last week, I still did not receive a unit.

Through email, Michael told me to send the unit back to him and he would refund my money through paypal. He said to send it UPS collect. The problem is that UPS does not have collect. Also, why won't he refund my money? Why do I have to go through all of this hassle?

He wants me to value the intercooler at $100USD for "tax " purposes. The problem is that if UPS loses the package, I will be the loser. This US/Canada thing is another problem.

What would you guys do? Any similar experiences? Anyone have his phone number?
Old 11-24-2006 | 12:26 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Sending the IC back for $100 to Canada is NOT a big thing, I have done this many times. I just recently received a $2500 head from Toronto, Canada and it was valued at $50 for Customs purposes. The beauty of FedEx and UPS is you can track it and if it goes astray, it can be found very quickly. No worries there.

I am not sure of your mechanical aptitude, but many aftermarket parts fit somewhat poorly and will require some home engineering to make it fit and connect poorly. To some this is a pain and not worth it, but many folks can take the time to make it fit and work. Few units are what I consider true "bolt-in" but if thats what you paid for then you should have got that. Blownsix have a very new reputation to develop and keep, so I am sure they will rectify the issues.

You can address pressure sensor port issues by using plastic of silicone elbows and ACE hardware and several "Nut and Bolt" stores will have the right pitch and length studs as well.

I constitute a complete "Engineering Disaster" as an intercooler that works and performs much worse than the stock unit, one that has huge pressure drop, poorly designed end tanks and cores and is very inefficient. Sadly with the 930 engine bay, there is not alot of room.

Good luck
Yasin
Old 11-24-2006 | 03:12 PM
underpsi
Instructor

Putting a low value of the product is not an issue because i believe it is only for reducing possible duties and taxes when it crosses the border. I received my intercooler from them back in august and my wrench charged me 1.5 hrs for installation and it's been running fine ever since. I feel your frustration but Michael is a person that will definately take care of the issues but I think they are likely overwhelmed with their production which may cause this delay. Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2006 | 12:07 AM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by underpsi
Putting a low value of the product is not an issue because i believe it is only for reducing possible duties and taxes when it crosses the border. [snip]
aka, fraud or smuggling. If you get caught (under-value is common practice by the way), you will loose the IC and pay a fine. If you want to reduce duty and/or taxes, list the item as "return for repair/warranty work" and put a reasonable value on it.

I was in transportation for 23 years, so be careful.
Old 11-25-2006 | 12:11 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I have dealt with Michael and he's always come through as he said he would. Returning the Intercooler and valuing it as he suggested is strictly a method for saving some duty costs. I think you're overly concerned about what really is a routine process. Just send it back as he suggests and he'll take care of your concerns.
Old 11-25-2006 | 12:30 AM
underpsi
Instructor

Originally Posted by DonE
aka, fraud or smuggling. If you get caught (under-value is common practice by the way), you will loose the IC and pay a fine. If you want to reduce duty and/or taxes, list the item as "return for repair/warranty work" and put a reasonable value on it.

I was in transportation for 23 years, so be careful.

The IC was from Blownsix which is in Canada and it is going back to Canada, therefore it is not subject to taxes or duties anyways!
Old 11-25-2006 | 09:57 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by underpsi
The IC was from Blownsix which is in Canada and it is going back to Canada, therefore it is not subject to taxes or duties anyways!
Oh- didn't see that. Sorry buttin' in.
Old 11-28-2006 | 03:12 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Chuck, Did you install? and was it a success?
Old 11-30-2006 | 10:30 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ferrari1
The problem is that UPS does not have collect. Also, why won't he refund my money?
I've used UPS COD before.
Old 11-30-2006 | 02:36 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Daley 88930: No I didn't install the orginal. After the issues arose regarding fitment, I decided not to even try to do an install..I am shipping it back and I'm getting the newer designed one that the owner Michael advised me has addressed all the fitment issues. It's due to arrive here within a week. So far, B6 has stood behind their promise to upgrade it and Michael has been responsive to any emails or questions/concerns I've had.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get the new one and install it. I'm planning to do some other mods too...and will have to change my avatar from "totally stock" to "slightly modified".....otherwise you eagle eyed folks on this board will snag me.
Old 11-30-2006 | 04:45 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Chuck, Welcome to the dark side. These cars are Hot Rods and they respond to all this stuff so well -Let`s face it Porsche did it with the 934 in the 70s and RUF did the Yellow Bird etc.-Why resist? Keep us posted.
Old 11-30-2006 | 05:16 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I was warned about you guys and the way you egg fellow owners on....deeper and deeper into the dark side. I really only want to go a shade grey or so....not too far into the dark... A good turbo upgrade, maybe some headers, the intercooler, performance muffler, and perhaps rework the fuel head...and I'll be happy. I don't know what I'd do with all that extra horsepower some of you folks have there....except enjoy it I guess.
Old 11-30-2006 | 05:58 PM
Ferrari1
Intermediate

Hey guys...I wanted to let you know that Michael stood by his work and did refund my intercooler purchase. I hope his new one will be a success. I had not be able to drive my car for 3 months and couldn't take it any longer. I am now back to the 89 930 cab stock unit but happy to be on the road! The dark side almost had me. Sincerley, Luke Skywalker
Old 12-06-2006 | 04:02 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Glad you're back on the road Luke....I'm afraid Darth got me...no turning back.....Michael shipped me the new intercooler today, so I'll have it by next week. He's stood by any and all promises he's made. Glad you got your issues resolved. Chuck
Old 12-06-2006 | 08:45 AM
hailwood
Instructor

i went thru all of this BS too. i finally got my money back from blown six but not the time i wasted trying to put the intercooler on the car three times because he assured me it fit correctly.

I bought the Kokeln unit, went right in and looks great.

I could not wait around for blown six to get their act together, and to be honest the kokeln is a much better quality product. it may have the same performance results but the fit and finish is much better. i guess it better be for almost twice the price.

i would reccommend staying awy from blown six for a year or so until they really get their issues sorted out. it really is poor business to use potentioal customers as fit and finish R+D.

Quick Reply: BlownSix Problems..Help