Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

BlownSix Problems..Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006 | 10:48 AM
sand_man
Drifting

It's a real shame that Blown Six hit the market with these issues! I think distribution problems are one thing, but fitment and quality issues are another! I'm glad that they've stood by their customers, but sadly (for them), it could take awhile to restore customer confidence. FWIW, I have a B&B I/C on mine (purchased used) and it fits perfect. I'm however saving my pennies for a used 965 I/C.

At any rate, this just demonstrates the importance if hitting the market at the right time with the right product that does everything the manufacturers/reps say that it will...
Old 12-06-2006 | 06:43 PM
Tripster
Instructor

Default Blownsix

I really like the Blownsix IC, when I look at mine, and then a B&B on a friends car, mine seems allot bigger, this is only my opinion by looking. As far as fitting, I installed mine to my preference by not letting it down all the way on the TB by spacing it toward the top, then also I tilted the back up higher almost touch the tail hoping to direct the air better. I also made a shroud as you can see in the pictures to seal it off. I am pleased with it.
Attached Images   
Old 12-06-2006 | 06:44 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I think though in all fairness they did not make a secret of the fact that they were not a professional established business and this was also reflected in the price. I wouldn't have bought one because nobody has dyno'd them to prove that they actually work, unlike my Kokeln from Stephen of IA.

Last edited by nathanUK '81 930 G50; 12-06-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2006 | 06:51 PM
Tripster
Instructor

nathan,
That is a great point, and to the best of my understanding, Michael the ownerof Blownsix, has did everything he said he would do, to make things right with anyone who was not pleased in way.
Old 12-06-2006 | 08:22 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

The thing that I don't understand about a new company is why don't they take one model of car for each IC made and run it on a dyno with all of the other ICs and compare theirs to the others. This is a no brainer. The only people that don't do that are using Madison Ave tactics on us. They cant compare their product so they use hyperbolye to sell their stuff. It was like the guy that makes the E-ram electric turbo charger. Stephen offered to try the product at no charge if the guy would send him an example to try on the dyno. The guy refused! Case closed. Blown Six, step up or step out.
Old 12-06-2006 | 08:25 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Seeing their ads in Panorama, however, would lead you to believe that this is a "real" company, and not Inbred Jed's Intercooler shop..."yeah boss we gots a welder". Porsche owners, generally speaking, expect more!

Last edited by sand_man; 12-06-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2006 | 10:33 PM
underpsi
Instructor

Originally Posted by sand_man
Seeing their ads in Panorama, however, would lead you to believe that this is a "real" company, and not Inbred Jed's Intercooler shop..."yeah boss we gots a welder". Porsche owners, generally speaking, expect more!
In all fairness no welding shop would be able to do cast-aluminium moulded tanks like the Blownsix IC tanks; even a well experienced welding shop can only do boxed shaped welded end-tanks. Have you seen the quality of their 965 end-tanks? They are better looking than any i've seen even at $4k. We should be glad that someone is out there providing us with great and affordable performance upgrades.
Old 12-06-2006 | 10:54 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by underpsi
In all fairness no welding shop would be able to do cast-aluminium moulded tanks like the Blownsix IC tanks; even a well experienced welding shop can only do boxed shaped welded end-tanks. Have you seen the quality of their 965 end-tanks? They are better looking than any i've seen even at $4k. We should be glad that someone is out there providing us with great and affordable performance upgrades.
I agree with you. My comments were pointed more to those willing to let them off the hook for not claiming to be a "established professionals". Fitment issues aside, from the pictures I saw, they (the intercoolers) looked damn fine.
Old 12-06-2006 | 11:09 PM
underpsi
Instructor

Originally Posted by sand_man
I agree with you. My comments were pointed more to those willing to let them off the hook for not claiming to be a "established professionals". Fitment issues aside, from the pictures I saw, they (the intercoolers) looked damn fine.
I think it's just a matter of time that these problems be corrected if they haven't already done so. It is unfortunate these issues happened with their initial batch of 930 half bay ICs but it's also good to learn that they had dealt with the issues with their customers in a professional manner and everyone had either got new corrected ICs or full refunds. That's seems more than fair to me; cheers.
Old 12-07-2006 | 03:09 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you buy an IC for its looks or its performance? How do any of you know what the thing will do and with no test data to compare it to other ICs you are only buying a pretty face. We will all be waiting for someone to buy one and actually test it against their old one so we can actually know how it performs. I hope the company does well and makes a good unit but so far they haven't done much to convince me.
Old 12-08-2006 | 05:51 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I haven't seen those ads or those magazines, my opinion of them not being "established professionals" was purely from the web.
Seems like maybe the company got "too big too quick" as we say here.
If it were my company I would never have sent more than two of each type of IC out at a time if I hadn't fitted one of that type to a car myself.
Also when I purchased my tuning parts from Stephen for the first time I asked him to pack them very well to avoid damage (I'm sure I didn't need to ask really). Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to packing.
Old 12-08-2006 | 07:32 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
I haven't seen those ads or those magazines, my opinion of them not being "established professionals" was purely from the web.
Seems like maybe the company got "too big too quick" as we say here.
If it were my company I would never have sent more than two of each type of IC out at a time if I hadn't fitted one of that type to a car myself.
Also when I purchased my tuning parts from Stephen for the first time I asked him to pack them very well to avoid damage (I'm sure I didn't need to ask really). Better to be safe than sorry when it comes to packing.
Yeah it's a pretty decent ad in Porsche Panorama (for PCA members).
Old 05-29-2007 | 07:15 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Seems they've really Blown it now

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/355175-ripped-off-by-blown-six-design.html
Old 05-29-2007 | 11:19 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure about the 930 model
i have have the Blown six 965 model fits fine.....i like it
(486 rwhp @.9bar 3.6T stock internals, headers,Garrett Turbo Haltech e11V2 EFI ,and Blownsix 965 IC)
Elliot
Old 05-30-2007 | 02:57 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I still haven't installed mine yet...but I see that Tripster did his sometime back, so the new fitment that came out after the initial problems must have made the install easier? Tripster...can you comment?

Quick Reply: BlownSix Problems..Help