Suspect air leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:40 AM
InC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspect air leak

Hi guys,

Car idles at 1600rpm, rpm drops slowly when changing gears and car is unable to boost. Suspect there is an air leak in CIS the system. Are there any hoses in particular that I should look out for or any hose that is prone to leaks? How many hoses are there and where are they located? which one should I start with? Any easier way to detech an air leak?

Thanks guys... sorry for the multiple questions! car is an original 1988 turbo
Old 11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One way to deteact an air leak and/or vacuum leak is to *CAREFULLY* spray something like starter fluid around some suspect areas (obvious hose connections, manifold, etc.) while the car idles. If there is a leak, the idle will increase when the starter fluid hits the opening (leak). The stuff is *HIGHLY* flammable so use common sense. keep it off the paint work

Are you sure that the large I/C connections are seated properly: the connection at the compressor "up-pipe" and the connection at the actual intake manifold? There is a large red/orange O-ring that is easly torn. Also, if the I/C has been removed recently, sometimes it takes a bit of man-handling to get them seated again.

Also, can you be more specific when you say the "car is unable to boost"
Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unable to boost could also be a symptom of a faulty waste-gate.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

If you're driving and try to boost do you hear a big 'whoosh' sound? Easiest thing is to check the large intercooler hose. Easily spotted. Mine was recently removed by garage, and the hose clip not tight so the hose worked loose. I tightened the clip (real tight) and that's it fixed now!
Old 11-16-2006, 05:48 AM
InC
Instructor

Car has no power at 4000rpm, like a low compression NA car. Car should be very strong at 4000rpm with boost.. I suspect my wastegate diaphragm as I sometimes hit the over boost switch.. thanks.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:06 PM
InC
Instructor

Correction, Boost comes on, reaches peak at 4000rpm and car doesn't react like it should at peak boost. Some air must be by-passing the cis plunger plate. Is it difficult to trace. Probably remove intercooler and air box to do basic checks. probably tighten the major hoses.

Quick Reply: Suspect air leak