911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Engine Builder Supply....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:53 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine Builder Supply....

Has anybody ever used Engine Builder Supply out of Reno, Nev?

What has your experience been?
What kind of turn aroud did you have?
What kind of communications experience did you have?
What kind of advice did they have for your build?

Thanks,

Last edited by A930Rocket; 10-17-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:02 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I need to reach for that bottle of Jaeger, again???
Old 10-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Chet 930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought all my parts from them when I rebuilt my 930 motor. I also had them do the valve job on my cylinder heads as well. They were a great outfit for me for both parts and the machine work. They also had good customer service too. However......I called the same person who I was dealing with a year or two later for a brake/upgrade set up and noticed that thier customer service changed (not for the better). In fact, I also called a couple of times to buy a brake upgrade package and they never returned my calls. So, I went somewhere else.......

As for thier advice.......they seemed like very knowledgable people.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Don't Bogart that bottle my friend.... LOL

Originally Posted by sand_man
Do I need to reach for that bottle of Jaeger, again???
Old 10-17-2006, 09:29 PM
The Turk
Intermediate

I’ve bought almost everything from them for the 3.5 I’m building, I’ve had nothing but friendly, helpful service every time I’ve called.
Typically they have what I need in stock and ship the same day, providing I call by 3:00 or so.
The couple of times I’ve received something that wasn’t right, they shipped out the correct part the day I made them aware of the problem and arranged a call tag with UPS for me to send back the wrong parts.
I think they specialize in engine and tranny stuff, they seem very knowledgeable when it comes to motors.

Good Luck,
Gary
Old 10-17-2006, 09:37 PM
sand_man
Drifting

When I was in the planning stages of my build (about 1 year ago), they were very helpful and provided the quotes for service and parts very quickly. In the end I went with another shop, but not because of anything that EBS did (or didn't do).
Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 PM
slivan
Instructor

Never had a problem, they drop shipped everything my machine shop needed (Walt at Competition) to complete their work and everything else was sent to me. I missed a couple small parts and in my order, they shipped them to me immediately with no issue whatsoever. My pricing was also very competetive for everything I needed to build the motor (gaskets, ARP, chains, rails, sealants, valves, rocker bushings etc...) I dealt with Jon, he was very knowledgable.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:02 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Well, I suppose I should say why I ask about them...

I asked numerous times about what is done and what kind of upgrades there are. There seems to be no advice on building an engine and as far as what I'm doing, the answer is that it will work fine.

My biggest issue is that I've been kinda frustrated with the lack of communication between them and myself. I believe I was told that all my parts (crank, rods, oil pump, rockers) could be done in about two weeks except my heads, which would take about four weeks. Since they were received at EBS on 9/1/06, several times I was told that all was done except the heads, but nothing was shipped and then parts started to dribble back starting a couple of weeks ago. I've asked about the heads no less than six times with no clear answer (other than I should be able to get them by next Fri. again and again).

Maybe it's par for the course and I'm impatient? I do know that I can't run our business that way.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:03 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

I just bought exhaust valves, rockers, adj screws, rod bearings, gaskets, etc from them for a rebuild. Good quality German pieces. They're in the car and it's running again, so all is right with the world.

Don knows his stuff and was very helpful with advice. Had a slew of options from used 3.3 all the way up to 3.6 P/C's. Something to fit almost every budget.

Can't speak to turnaround for services. They were initially going to bore and replate my old sleeves but opted against it. That process took a few weeks if I remember

Good luck. What do you have planned, or thinking about?

Glenn
Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 PM
slivan
Instructor

I used them for parts only, don't have any idea what they're machine shop has going on. FWIW everytime I've had machine work done it seems to take 2-3x the original estimated time to completion, whether it's with the 930 or the local V8 shop.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:48 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

What's funny is that they email the guy who does the machine work. I kinda figured it was all right there?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:34 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

They did my valve job and cylinder replating. I also bought most of my engine parts from them. They were good to work with but I think they sub out some of their work.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:19 AM
WERK-I
Pro

I purchased most of my rebuild parts through them two years ago. If things haven't changed there, I highly recommend them. Nice guys, period. I know I could have saved several hundred going with them if I had organized my rebuild in a more methodical manner. I know I'll using them again for my top end build this winter.

Quick Reply: Engine Builder Supply....