911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Finally refinished my Fuchs

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:15 AM
the_Wolf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally refinished my Fuchs

Just a few pics after refinishing my stock Fuchs w/ polishing of the lips, new ContiSports and changing the finish on the centers to gloss black instead of satin. I know some folks fon't prefer the gloss finish on the centers due to the "bling" effect and less effective heat dissipation of glossy vs. satin/flat finishes, but my 930 is an infrequent driver and never tracked. Also, it annoys me to no end having to sit out in the driveway and rub petroleum jelly all over my wheels to make them look decent (prior to the refinishing). I did the refinishing myself and would say that it was worthwhile, but possibly a little more time than it was worth - I'm into them for at least 40 hours. I would seriously consider paying for the service if ever faced with the prospect again.........Now I need to do the calipers - I think my foot just started toeing the very edge of "the" slippery slope after three years of leaving the car alone...

- John
Attached Images     
Old 10-08-2006, 09:08 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice job on the polished lip, did you do that by hand?, and if so, using what. Said it before and I'll say it again, I prefer them gloss.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:27 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 156 Posts

That looks really excellent! Great job I love them. I was going to do the same with my Fuchs if I kept them on the car. I do an extensive amount of metal polishing so I can relate to the hard work involved.

BTW...your car is leaking antifreeze!

Yasin
Old 10-08-2006, 04:46 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

No, it is sweat from all that polishing
Old 10-08-2006, 09:36 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

And I thought I had the only non-lowered 930 on the planet..... looks like there is 2.

Gerry
Old 10-08-2006, 10:24 PM
the_Wolf
Advanced

DeWolf - yes, all work was done by hand. Extreme pain in the ***, and I still have a little more to do, but they came out pretty damn nice. Consisted of, in order: Easy-Off x-strength oven cleaner to destroy the anodizing, then wet sanding w/ 320,600,800,1000,1500,2000, and finally polishing w/ Mother's aluminum polish. Centers were primed w/ DupliColor etch primer and painted w/ black appliance epoxy. If the paint doesn't hold up its not a big thing - I have the strip, tape and spray technique down to a science (I had to redo a couple of them due to them not meeting my expectations). I have nothing but blisters on the fingertips of both hands from the whole ordeal.....

Yasin - yeah, didn't I mention that I slipped a set of 959 heads on.....must need to put a little RTV in there to button em' up and take care of that antifreeze leak.......JFWY..

nine45s - not lowered yet, but I can feel it coming on. I'm gonna take care of cleaning up my brakes first, and then the next thing to tweak will be the suspension. I like em' just fine at stock height though - they're purty no matter what stance they have.....

- John
Old 10-09-2006, 09:57 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nine45s
And I thought I had the only non-lowered 930 on the planet..... looks like there is 2.

Gerry
Make that 3...mine still has the stock ride height.

Nice job on the polishing Wolf! In the near future I'll be posting a thread asking for the board's opinion on what finish to run with on my Fuchs. I'll let either Al Reed or Harvey Weidman (spelling?) do mine. I love the old RSR "frosted" look, but I'm not sure how that would look on a GP White car.

Last edited by sand_man; 10-09-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you clear coat?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:58 PM
the_Wolf
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daley88930
Did you clear coat?
Daley88930 - no, I didn't clear - I tested a patch early on after I polished and no matter what brand I tried, they all somewhat "dulled" the mirror polishing. I'm not really worried about it, since my girl is mostly a garage queen, driven once or twice a week. From what some of the local sport bike guys have told me clear powdercoat is the way to go if you want some protection for the mirrored finish. A little repolish with Mother's Al polish once a month should suffice though.....

- John
Old 10-09-2006, 02:51 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

When I went back to the original wheel and tire setup from the bizarre 03 Carrera turobtwists and corresponding tires that were on the car, I bought my Fuchs from ProtoTech since my car was in there for a rebuild anyway(took many months). I have had them on for 11/2 years and have not noticed dulling so I presume they must be clearcoated and I wondered if that was common practice. I live 1/2 block from the ocean so corrosion is part of life---I think Mother`s sells a product for clear coated wheels too and of course that miniball thing. Your car looks great!

Quick Reply: Finally refinished my Fuchs