911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Reg. 930 Blownsix intercooler installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Ferrari1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reg. 930 Blownsix intercooler installation

I received my 930 Blownsix intercooler on Friday. There were no installation instructions provided by the company to my frustration. So far I have referenced the following site:

http://members.rennlist.com/magisterc/kokeln.html

I wanted to give you my first impressions (not thrilled) and ask a few installation questions.

1)On the removal of the old bypass assembly, there are 2 separate vacumm sensors (very small vaccum lines) that are mounted to the bypass assembly. What have others done with these? Bracket is mounted by 2 10mm bolts.

2)Also on the bypass assembly, is the aux air valve(The gold bosch part?) Does this get discarded with the old bypass assembly?

3) The stud provided in this kit to support the intercooler is a different thread than the original long bolts removed. (It does not want to thread easly in place and if I test the thread with the OEM Porsche nuts it does not go either. This makes me think the kit stud is not correct) I am hesitant to screw this in and destroy the threads if I ever with to return to the original. Have others run across this problem with the blownsix kit?

4) What have others used to seal the threads when screwing in the old sensors and other components to the intercooler?

5) Which way does the new bypass valve get mounted to the new C@ air tube? I can't tell from the pictures on the site I listed above.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 09:39 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That guy with the Kokeln install probably wishes he had a dollar for everyone that looked at it. Myself included. LOL

See my answers in bold below.

Originally Posted by Ferrari1
I received my 930 Blownsix intercooler on Friday. There were no installation instructions provided by the company to my frustration. So far I have referenced the following site:

http://members.rennlist.com/magisterc/kokeln.html

I wanted to give you my first impressions (not thrilled) and ask a few installation questions.

1)On the removal of the old bypass assembly, there are 2 separate vacuum sensors (very small vacuum lines) that are mounted to the bypass assembly. What have others done with these? Bracket is mounted by 2 10mm bolts. I removed all that stuff.

2)Also on the bypass assembly, is the aux air valve(The gold bosch part?) Does this get discarded with the old bypass assembly? The AAV stays.

3) The stud provided in this kit to support the intercooler is a different thread than the original long bolts removed. (It does not want to thread easly in place and if I test the thread with the OEM Porsche nuts it does not go either. This makes me think the kit stud is not correct) I am hesitant to screw this in and destroy the threads if I ever with to return to the original. Have others run across this problem with the blownsix kit? Should be a 8mm threaded rod. Don't force it. Have them send new ones. Are your olds long enough? You can order threaded rod from http://www.mcmaster.com/.

4) What have others used to seal the threads when screwing in the old sensors and other components to the intercooler? Tefllon tape.

5) Which way does the new bypass valve get mounted to the new C@ air tube? I can't tell from the pictures on the site I listed above. I have mine with the small hose pointed up.
Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by A930Rocket; 09-23-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:38 PM
underpsi
Instructor

Ferrari1, yes it should be a M8 bolt. I have installed mine a month or so back and it wasn't too difficult. They have instructions, email them for it.

Last edited by underpsi; 09-23-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Tripster
Instructor

Let me know if you need some help with it, I can walk you thru it or send you the info you are needing. I installed mine this weekend.

Quick Reply: Reg. 930 Blownsix intercooler installation