911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

"Chugging" in second gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Chugging" in second gear

Everything seems to be running fairly well....except....when I'm running in second gear ( four speed trans) and I keep it at a steady 2500-3500 rpm...it seems to surge or chug a bit. I don't seem to get that in any of the higher gears...but periodically also get it in first. It doesn't occur upon hard acceleration...only when maintaining a steady rpm in that indicated range.

Also, I've noticed that the oil level indicator which used to run about in the middle of the gauge...now lies at the bottom and never comes up...even after the engine has reached operating temps and the car is motionless idling. I've read on this forum that you don't trust that gauge and check the dipstick...which I do regularly...but the gauge used to work. Even though I don't trust that gauge as an accurate indicator of oil level...it should register something. Suggestions would be appreciated. Chuck
Old 09-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Gino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck-
I some some 'surging' issues a while back which was very pronounced in 2nd and 3rd gear steady throttle cruising around 3 grand rpm... partially related to mixture; too lean.

But also, under darkness of night, opened garage and absolute silence, I noticed some arcing from my old wire set.

Between those two fixes, all is well. Both easy enough for you to check.

Quick Reply: "Chugging" in second gear