Replacement Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Patrick Cusack
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Exhaust

Hi again,

The muffler/exhaust system that came with my 1978 930 may or may not be original. I suspect it is from a US car - rather than the original Australian delivered (Euro spec) vehicle. It has tailpipes at both sides.

Here's a picture: http://flickr.com/photos/48078978@N00/246447647/

The baffles have <cough> relaxed a bit at a recent track day and the car is getting really noisy. Does anyone recognise this muffler setup? I'd appreciate any tips on finding suitable replacement.

Thanks-
Pat Cusack Sydney Australia
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2006, 11:35 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it was modified by someone else. Previous owner maybe? It's not factory.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:07 PM
im4duke
Racer

It resembles the stock version except for the passenger side outlet. Maybe someone added it as Dave suggests. If it originated as stock, you should find the part number info on it. The attached pics are of a euro muffler, but the outlets look the same. Your WG pipe looks nonstock as well. Also, Ruf made twin tip dual outs, but I don't know if they look like that.
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2006, 03:23 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

It looks like a Scart exhaust http://www.scart-exhausts.com/ang/de...hp?produit=136 I swear the last time i looked they had a dual out version, maybe they've discontinued it? Like the lads are saying there should be something written on there
Old 09-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Olli
Racer

I have a RUF exhaust that I had to replace due to putting in the B&B headers. It's lying in my basement and looks just like yours on the picture. The longer pipe on the left side of the muffler in the pic, and the one closest to the rear of the car, has a metal tag welded on it that says RUF 930 4R. The last character may not be an R but looks like it.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:19 AM
Patrick Cusack
Cruisin'

Hi Mr Duke,

Yes - the WG was fabricated after the flame from the stock WG melted the urethane stop on the left side of the rear bumper on track days :-/

I think it's back-yard special, as Dave has suggested. It's very dark out the back at the moment - but I can see the 930 1/4 stamp from BISCHOFF - with an '86 date. I can't see any RUF tags as described by Olli.

Many thanks-
Pat.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Patrick Cusack
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Olli
I have a RUF exhaust that I had to replace due to putting in the B&B headers. It's lying in my basement and looks just like yours on the picture. The longer pipe on the left side of the muffler in the pic, and the one closest to the rear of the car, has a metal tag welded on it that says RUF 930 4R. The last character may not be an R but looks like it.
Hi Olli,

Maybe one of my car's previous owners used it as a template for their shed welding experiment :-)

I'd be happy to show it a new home if you have no other use for the real RUF! I've no idea if it will fit - but we only needed a little coaxing to get the 'stock' muffler onto the new 7200 turbo when we rebuilt the motor...

Regards-
Pat. (a lonng way away)
Old 09-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Olli
Racer

Originally Posted by Patrick Cusack
Hi Olli,

Maybe one of my car's previous owners used it as a template for their shed welding experiment :-)

I'd be happy to show it a new home if you have no other use for the real RUF! I've no idea if it will fit - but we only needed a little coaxing to get the 'stock' muffler onto the new 7200 turbo when we rebuilt the motor...

Regards-
Pat. (a lonng way away)
Thanks Patrick,

As most of the members who do mods on their cars keep the stock part just in case they sell their cars one day and the authenticity becomes an issue, I am doing the same with the parts that I have changed. Although I don't think I will ever sell the car, you never know what's going to happen in the future and if the RUF authenticity becomes an issue it's good to have the old parts available.

I actually don't know how that exhaust would be different from the stock exhaust. Could it be that these are really the same exhausts and the different organizations just put their own stamps or tags on them!? They sure look the same....Maybe someone else has more knowledge about this?

Olli

Quick Reply: Replacement Exhaust