911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Maintenance free battery recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:10 PM
gaijin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance free battery recommendations

Looking to replace my '79 911 Turbo's battery.

I'd like to go with a maintenance free battery.

Optima a good choice? If so, which model?

How about regular maintenance free battery? I believe my application calls for a Group 41 or 42. A/C equipped 930.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:33 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, BUT........

I replaced my battery with a sealed gel race battery. It worked fine for 5 plus years. I have had the car stored for the last 5.... So I probably will have to buy another one.
The placement of the battery IMHO...is a bad spot. I don't like the idea of all that weight sticking out in the left front corner of the car. I would rather have it low and centered in the car for better handling. I made an aluminum mount for the race battery dimensions, and then put it inside of the smugglers box. It gets the weight low, and more centered in the car. I never had one issue from the sealed gel battery and it was half the weight of the Optima battery that it replaced. pegasus racing and most other race shops carry the batteries.
Like I said, I don't know what you are looking for, but it gives the car better handling, make good use of wasted space, and cleans up the trunk area as well.... Hope that helps....B
Old 09-10-2006, 11:48 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Hey Larry, Getting set for Petite LeMans? I know I am. I really like the Optima battery, even with all of the issues B spoke of above. It is a heavy beast, but its about the best commercially available battery made. I run the yellow ones. We've run stereos, DVDs, recharged PCs, cameras, and transponders and its never failed to crank the engine yet. Even in Florida's well known heat. However, the premium you pay for it can probably get you three Die Hards even with the pro-rate. I've had one in my suburban now for three years and I think it and the 'burb will expire at about the same time. I'm not sure what size the case is, I just can't remember, but your dealer should be able to match it up no issue.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:58 PM
gaijin
Racer

Thanks guys.

Yes, WOT for Petit Le Mans. Look me up at the Porscheplatz when you get there.

I like the Optima option but you're both correct. They do get a bit more pricey than maintenance free batteries.

I'm leaning on going the maintenance free battery for now. Just trying to figure out which one. I've only located the standard auto batteries but would prefer to go with the maintenance free (sealed) battery. Any suggestions on which brand/model to look for?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:18 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Larry,
We use a brand known as Lifeline in a lot of aircraft applications. Its a fairly lightweight, glass-mat, sealed, maniteneance free battery. You can probably find a supplier near you in Atlanta with a web search. See you at Road Atlanta, I'll be in the Porscheplatz.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:02 PM
gaijin
Racer

Quick update. Decided to go with Optima RedTop. Temporarily installed using packing material (hard) to keep it from moving (as much). I wasn't going to just trust the positive lead to keep it in place.

When schedule gets better, planning on experimenting with the use of a 993 negative lead (longer than OE 930) to allow Optima placement to rear of battery tray area where the OE stopper is. I'll use the forward thread hole (three OE holes) for an OE hold-down.

Let you know how it turns out.

Busy..busy...Petit Le Mans just around the corner.

See you at the Platz!

Quick Reply: Maintenance free battery recommendations