Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Distributor and injector questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 10:12 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Distributor and injector questions....

I really cleaned my my distributor inside and out (by flushing it) and then started to think about if there were any kind of bearings in there that might be greased. I took a look today at taking it apart and it was a no go. Is this the case or does some oil keep it lubed?

Where can I get my injectors checked and cleaned? What's the cost? If I need to replace them, where's the best place to get them? I saw that Vertex has them for $59.xx At this price, maybe it's worth it to just get new ones vs spening the money to have them checked out?

Jim

Last edited by A930Rocket; 08-28-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:21 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I really cleaned my my distributor inside and out (by flushing it) and then started to think about if there were any kind of bearings in there that might be greased. I took a look today at taking it aprt and it was a no go. Is this the case or does some oil keep it lubed?

Where can I get my injectors checked and cleaned? What's the cost? If I need to replace them, where's the best place to get them? I saw that Vertex has them for $59.xx At this price, maybe it's worth it to just get new ones vs spening the money to have them checked out?

Jim
Jim,

I'm not sure about rebuilding the dizzy...I would imagine there are bearings and other internal parts (advance/retard mechanisms) that require lubrication. However, if the thing is now toast or will require a professional rebuild (add more to the budget...LOL) I still have the dizzy out of my '87 with a new cap, rotor, and Magnecor plug wires that I can loan you until you figure out what to do with your dizzy. Mine only had 42,000 on it when I pulled it for Electromotive.

As for the injectors, I had two bad ones that I replaced with new ones from Imagine Auto. Neil Harvey cleaned and tested my injectors. You might want to check this guy out:
http://www.specialtauto.com/porsche-parts/index.html
Old 08-27-2006, 11:38 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my CIS injectors matched at www.injector.com (Marren Fuel Injection) - he also has replacements that are matched.

I have a new-rebuilt dist from my 79 - PM me if you are interested.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:36 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Not sure about our cars, but most dizzys have a felt pad under the rotor which you oil. Just in case you didn't know.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:05 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just took the injectors out, used carb cleaner with the little red hose attachment (which fits perfectly in the injector port) and sprayed until I got saw a fine even mist. If you want to get really scientific, get 6 test tubes and time your spray (5 sec) into each one and measure the levels.

BTW, no smoking during test.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:12 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

That's my usual trick, but first I soaked them in injector cleaner (like usual). I used 2-3 cans of cleaner and couldn't get a good spray pattern. They seemed to be off and not spraying in a full circle. Plus, I thoght they should be atomizing the fuel better. Not that they were dribbling.

Originally Posted by NSXTC
I just took the injectors out, used carb cleaner with the little red hose attachment (which fits perfectly in the injector port) and sprayed until I got saw a fine even mist. If you want to get really scientific, get 6 test tubes and time your spray (5 sec) into each one and measure the levels.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:17 PM
NSXTC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd figure you've already done the basic cleaning. Have you tried blowing compressed air from the outside to dislodge any contaiminates through the injector port? Yeah, the price of new ones doesn't justify getting them rebuilt.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:32 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I haven't used any air. Are you saying blow it from the pintle to the inlet?

Maybe I could squirt some cleaner in there and then hit it with air?

Originally Posted by NSXTC
I'd figure you've already done the basic cleaning. Have you tried blowing compressed air from the outside to dislodge any contaiminates through the injector port? Yeah, the price of new ones doesn't justify getting them rebuilt.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The distributor needs attention if you have any axial play, beyond a few thousandths of an inch. They have fiber washers that break. You can replace them with the same part from a 356 distributor rebuild kit from Stoddard, but it takes some patience. You can also get the pins to secure the drive gear from Stoddard. There are instructions on disassembling the SC distributor (very similar) in one of the service bulletins from the late 70s. My ignition timing was bouncing around 5 degrees (crankshaft) before I rebuilt mine.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:15 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If I recall correctly, one thing that marren will do is clean them / check flow / pattern, and if they're bad you can apply that cost toward new ones from them.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:26 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Joe,

Do you know what Marren charges for new ones? If I can save a buck, I'd like to.

Jim
Old 08-28-2006, 06:28 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Tom,

I saw a rebuild on a distributor somewhere, but couldn't find it or remember if it was a 930 distributor. I'll check the play.

Also, I'll check with Stephen, as I thought he knew of a place that rebuilds them.

Jim

Originally Posted by Tom F
The distributor needs attention if you have any axial play, beyond a few thousandths of an inch. They have fiber washers that break. You can replace them with the same part from a 356 distributor rebuild kit from Stoddard, but it takes some patience. You can also get the pins to secure the drive gear from Stoddard. There are instructions on disassembling the SC distributor (very similar) in one of the service bulletins from the late 70s. My ignition timing was bouncing around 5 degrees (crankshaft) before I rebuilt mine.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:54 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

The CIS injectors need something like 4 or 5 bar to operate, so a can of cleaning fluid shot in the inlet should not be able to show a spray pattern.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

mine all sprayed fine I stuck the little red tube in the hole with a can of wd 40 after they had soaked a few days in carb cleaner. they all sprayed fine with a good spary pattern, you have to push pretty hard on the red tube though or you will end up wearing more than you get through the injector. I think I got as much on me as through the injectors on the first couple.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:26 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.witchhunter.com/

Look no further, this guy is great. Lives close by so I could personally see the whole operation - injector testing & repair is all he does.
A perfectionist - he found a bad #6 and possibly saved my butt from a lean related rebuild!

Take a look:

Quick Reply: Distributor and injector questions....