911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 Cat converter....?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 04:55 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 930 Cat converter....?

I'm looking to buy a good used factory OEM cat converter for an 87 930. Yes...(sigh) I live in California!! Yes...DMV has me in the crosshairs. Someone out there must have gone to a hi performance set up and has one sitting around somewhere that they're not using....hopefully.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 AM
im4duke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck, I have one that you're welcome to borrow if you just need something to pass emissions and inspection. I only use it annually, but do not think I'll need it for a while as my rebuild is crawling along... Unfortunately, shipping back and forth might be cost prohibitive. Anyway, if you don't find one, you can fallback on borrowing mine anytime.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:21 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck: Why the need for the OEM cat converter? Your signature says your 930 is "totally stock". Just wondering.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CANYSMC: Damn...I shoulda' otta' known you guys are sharp...I read that other discussion thread about "Is this a real Slantnose", and you guys picked up on the slightest nuance or irregularity. And you just caught me... .flat out busted me.

OK...I need a cat because I bought the car without one. There I said it.....the PO showed me the smog cert that he had done two months before and the car sailed thru. I said..(kuz I'm such a really a nice guy)...I said..no problemo..even tho the seller is responsible, just give me $75 and I'll take care of the smog....NOT. Flunked twice, passed visual, but the CA smog guys don't know P cars and thought the performance muffler was the cat...so I passed visual but flunked the emissions part; times two kuz I couldn't imagine it flunking and kept running it thru. Took it in to an indy...and he said..."OH my... look here...this isn't a cat, it's a muffler"....OK guys...have I snitched myself off enough for you? Consequently, I'm looking for a used cat to have on hand for those periodic invitations we CA guys get to attend a command performance at one of our fine smog shops.

IM4duke...I really appreciate your kind offer to loan me yours, but one of the Rennlist guys in Tracy contacted me and I drove down there and borrowed his. I finally got thru smog and am now street legal for the next two years unless "called upon sooner". I am trying to find one to buy so that I can have one up this way...and then if someone finds themselves in my position, we have a Sacramento "representative" in the loaner department. Thanks again for the kind offer...Chuck
Old 08-25-2006, 04:24 PM
gecc
Advanced

I've got a cat. conv. that came off of '86 with 10k miles. It shows no signs of being over heated
(discolored housing) and the honeycomb looks crisp and sharp. If you are intrested send me a
PM. Charlie
Old 08-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Chet 930
Racer

Better jump on that one Chuck!

Quick Reply: 930 Cat converter....?