Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Possible Grey Market 911 Turbo purchase, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 06:40 PM
SoFast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, check your State Department of Enviornmental Quality as to whether or not you need to legally pass emissions in your state. Based upon being a ROW car, you may get a pass from EPA requirements when the car was imported. In many cases, they do not need to meet the US standards for emissions. Thus you get grandfathered and can have fun with your build on the car if you wish. Generally you will get a letter stating thus and you will never have to enter an emissions station with the car!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
It would be so much easier if i could just CarFax the damn thing!
Unfortunately, a carfax will tell you nothing (or very little) about a grey market car. There was some very good advice in the previous posts. Make sure this is truly an "opportunity" and not a nightmare waiting to happen. You're not going to get around spending time and money on the the DOT and EPA inquiries and the full PPI. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Frank, i was really just hoping to see if this car as ever passed a NYS emissions through the CarFax. The emissions deal really is not a huge problem if its legal to register the car, but it wont pass. I know a few places who can help with that .

I am going to make some calls on Monday and see what i can find out about getting the EPA and DOT papers. The PPI will only come if i see there are no issues with registration and if i decide to bite the bullet on this car or not. Luckily there is a well known shop about 15 minutes away from where the car is located i can bring the car to. I am just very lucky i have access to dealer plates!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:28 AM
SoFast
Racer

If it was legally brought into the US and checked by the EPA regs at that time, you do not have to meet NYS Emissions. A buddy of mine bought a ROW car and went through the requirements to get it documented as such. The car is no where able to pass emissions, but since it has the ROW status, he was able to get the paperwork and have the car titled and inspected as usual. If you have any q's, I can give ytou his name and number. Send me a PM!
Old 08-20-2006, 12:30 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 930 is ROW...

I love the fact that I get to show my emissions waiver each year at the test station... Then I always keep my fingers crossed that the gas cap passes...
Old 08-20-2006, 03:53 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

That is very interesting, the emissions thing is not a huge deciding factor right now and mostly am more concerned about whether the owner will accept my offer and if the car comes back with a good PPI or not. Thats very interesting though..it would be awsome to be atleast emissions exempt, could care less about the safety inspection!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:55 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

When I bought ny ROW '85 930 it had been registered and insured here in two states, Massachussetts and Pennsylvania prior to me buying it and registering in it Florida. It was in CARFAX with the history of its last registration in MA and its life since then in PA. I initially had an issue trying to get the car insured by my other autos insurer. They couldn't find the VIN in their database and sent it over to underwriting to see if they'd insure it. Instead of waiting for them to get off their duffs and give me an answer I called up my motorcycle insurer and they had me a policy and bill identical to my other cars within two hours. I had no issues registering it in FL. If the speedos been swapped, and it probably hasn't, then if you pull it out, on the back may or may not be a tag with the previous speedos mileage. The car looks just like my '85 with the exception of the wheels since I still run the stock Fuchs. People are afraid of ROW cars for all of the reasons that you've already read about, but 95% of the car is identical to what they imported to the US with the exception of smog gear, the euro had a better stock fuel head and exhaust, a more aggressive stance (ride height), and the euro had the H4 headlights which are definitely superior to the DOT sealed-beam units. Good luck on your decision. IMHO you get a better than stock 930 for a little less than what you pay for modified US cars to get similar or better performance. In fact I might be getting an assignment in England soon. If that happens I'm seriously thinking of getting another Porsche, LHD of course, while I'm over there and bringing it home with me when I return.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:54 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Speaking of headlights, it looks like they were switched out for seal beams like mine were.

Originally Posted by srf506
.... the euro had the H4 headlights which are definitely superior to the DOT sealed-beam units. .
Old 08-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I looked very briefly at the headlight lenses and saw they said 'Wagner' on them. I am pretty sure thats the same brand that was on my sisters '00 Jeep Cherokee before she sold it. Most likely a sealed beam. If anything, i would throw on a set of the Cibie E-codes like i have on my 944.

srf506, what type of prefix does your VIN have for your euro '85? WPOZZZ?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:44 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All ROW will start with WPOZZZ...

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
srf506, what type of prefix does your VIN have for your euro '85? WPOZZZ?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Yes mine is WPOZZZ..., and I agree with a930rocket, looks like all of your lights and lenses are DOT vs euro. The car pictured definitely has sealed-beam headlights and it has the DOT tail-light and parking light lenses. Unfortunate, but pretty easily correctable.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Looks like this car is going to be a no go. Looked over the car again briefly and there are no cats on it.. aswell as we cannot find any records of this car ever being registered in the United States since it was imported in '88. Who knows what problems are lurking with this thing and my fathe and i both decided to pass on it. My fathers buisness partner is giving the car back to the estate and letting them handle it.

I thank you all for the advice given and almost am relieved we are not getting it. I cant tell you how nervous i was getting we were going to be buying a complete nightmare.

The search will continue and hopefully in the next few years ill be able to pick one up on my own without taking out a massive loan from my father. Gotta get out of school first... . I atleast know the 4spd tranny really isnt as bad as i thought it was going to be, so ill expand the search to not just '89 models!

Quick Reply: Possible Grey Market 911 Turbo purchase, need advice!