911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

It was raining so hard you couldn't see

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 AM
matrix
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It was raining so hard you couldn't see

Anyway...as you know today was second day of Porsche ownership. All good until the clunking followed by the grinding...

On the Motorway in the biggest downpour you could imagine...

Limped along and off the motorway, and checked the car. Me soaked but car seemed Ok. Thought wheel bearing...and turned out to be so, once I drove like a granny(again!) back to the Porsche Centre. Thank god for all the water on the road...kept the wheel cool...funny that.

Hopefully will get it back on Monday...so much for the first weekend..
Old 08-04-2006, 05:23 AM
DeWolf
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

LOL, sorry mate, I know it is'nt funny but after a few Porsche's now expect that often. They are truly exceptional cars but they do wrong fairly often. It's really because of their age. That wheel bearing has probably been there for twenty seven years, it would be most prudent to the others while it's there. You will get it sorted.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:45 AM
matrix
Advanced

hey thanks...i am going to get them to go through it and look for anything. this car had been sitting for a while and things go wrong when they are not kept running...i am learning.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:47 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on now, you Ausies are just trying to impress the ladies (sheilas is it) with your smooth accents! Sadly there aren't any here...so give it up!

As for the problems with your new ride...this too shall pass! Don't get discouraged.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:35 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

These cars need to be driven regularly to keep there reliabiility up. Hoses, seals, belts, electricals all hate sitting there without use. Like DeWolf said its probably an original part so it doesn't owe anybody anything. These are exceptional cars but with the performance comes a price to maintain them properly. Mine had run a documented 24 miles the year before I purchased it. It took me about 18 months to get it debugged. Nothing major, all just little things like a crushed oil line, a dried out oil line, valve adjustment, firewall heat shield, tranny service, brake service, cleaned-up the box and replaced all of the fuzes, new motor mounts, new oil return tubes, set the ride height and alignment to spec, and conversion of the AC to R-134 (new compressor, expansion valve, dryer, and barrier hoses). It sounds like a lot, but it only took a few days to do and the car runs great (Aw man, I shouldn't of wrote that! That'll come back to haunt me someday. ;-) )
Old 08-04-2006, 12:41 PM
goldminer
Instructor

Must be something about Aussie 930s. Mine did a wheel bearing the first weekend I had it.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:44 PM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like the first week I owned my 930. It must have rained every day.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:30 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm...seems to be very common. My carrera did 2 wheel bearings 2nd week of ownership. It only has 50k miles on it and had been sitting around that last few years also...

Old 08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

svb,

Nice Carrera...Makes me want another one...

Quick Reply: It was raining so hard you couldn't see