911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Thinking tuning is easy? EFI conversion on the Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:47 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thinking tuning is easy? EFI conversion on the Dyno

I know we have mentioned the steady stating of a car on the dyno to achieve max numbers by watching TQ. How long does this take. Well it can't take very long as you are adding timing and if you go to far, bamn. You get in and out as fast as possible while watching 10 different things on the laptop and dyno. You can't see from the picture but I actually have two monitors in front of the car and a laptop in my lap and an additional AFR meter hanging from the mirror. It takes me 10 minutes to unhook myself from the car Here is a small video in a day in the life of what we do. This is our EFI conversion just finishing up on the dyno.

EFI Dyno mpg
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2006, 12:44 AM
im4duke
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt it's easy, but it sure looks COOOOL!!!! Thanks for sharing the video.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet. thanks for showing.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:45 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that steady stating things on a dyno is really the only way to go, but I am seriously afraid at how hard some of these dyno runs are on an engine if performed by an operator not familar with Porsche turbo engines. I've heard horror stories about engines (not 930 engines) that "let go" on the dyno. I'm NOT fortunate enough to have a shop like Stephen's close by, and I'm just not very trusting of a Ford Mustang "hot rod" shop that happens to own a dyno. Any one have advice? If Imagine Auto were just a few hours away, I'd be at their door step yesterday...I trust Stephen and his guys not to grenade my engine! Others...I just don't know!
Old 07-27-2006, 05:02 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sand_man
I know that steady stating things on a dyno is really the only way to go, but I am seriously afraid at how hard some of these dyno runs are on an engine if performed by an operator not familar with Porsche turbo engines. I've heard horror stories about engines (not 930 engines) that "let go" on the dyno. I'm NOT fortunate enough to have a shop like Stephen's close by, and I'm just not very trusting of a Ford Mustang "hot rod" shop that happens to own a dyno. Any one have advice? If Imagine Auto were just a few hours away, I'd be at their door step yesterday...I trust Stephen and his guys not to grenade my engine! Others...I just don't know!
I'm in the same situation.

Nice and interesting video- what kind of power is that car developing Stephen?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:49 PM
DeanM
Intermediate

Last year I took my EFIed turbo to a Dyno Dynamic dyno. The operator drove the car. I did some of the tuning. I can say that was on of the most stressfull 4 hrs of my life.

I had to watch several gauges on my craptop, while looking at a digital readout of the torque #. Then tweeking a toggle sw in the software to change the fuel and timing.

The thing that really sucked was the readout for torque was digital. I have a hard time processing digital #'s fast in my brain. So it was hard to adj for peak torque easily.

Plus paying $150 per hr I wanted to get it done fast.

I also overheated the brake on the dyno. So lots of stress.

Next time I am going to try a Dynapack dyno.

Dean
Old 07-27-2006, 10:03 PM
ProtoCab
Racer

Mmmmmm, FLAMES
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimculp
what kind of power is that car developing Stephen?
Lets just say that when you drive it, it puts a really big smile on your face
Old 07-27-2006, 11:53 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sand_man
How is a dyno run different from WOT on the street or at the track? At least on the dyno, its controlled - no traffic and lots of guages. The biggest problem I have with a dyno is cooling (look at Stephens large fans). As for letting someone else dyno tune your car, that's a bit different.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:44 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by DonE
How is a dyno run different from WOT on the street or at the track? At least on the dyno, its controlled - no traffic and lots of guages. The biggest problem I have with a dyno is cooling (look at Stephens large fans). As for letting someone else dyno tune your car, that's a bit different.
This is corect.
People afraid of a dyno are suffering from bad infomation probably from an idiot who has never been. 22nd party info.
The reason you hear this is because a lot of dyno junkies (like me )
PUSH a car on a dynno to get max HP. YOU DO NOT NECESSARILY HAVE TO BE A NUTCASE LIKE ME AT THE DYNO.
You are the boss - tell the op what you want:max HP, or if a load dyno- powerband point power, etc. You get the picture.
Unfortunately, some children slap a Honda together and run it full advance at 35 psi before looking at the wideband or the EGT.

See where I am going with this, fellas???
Old 07-28-2006, 10:46 AM
sand_man
Drifting

All good points!
Old 07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Chet 930
Racer

Thanks for covering up my car Stephan ( I do mean that in a good way ). I can see air of some kind moving the cover in the video.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:47 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chet 930
Thanks for covering up my car Stephan ( I do mean that in a good way ). I can see air of some kind moving the cover in the video.
Lol, right now with the shop being so hot in the summer, we have fan blowing every direction to try and stay cool!
Old 07-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Chet 930
Racer

I'll bet you guys do. Its been 112 to 115 degrees here where I live the last couple of weeks or so. I'm a little nervous to see what my electricity bill is going to be this month
Old 07-29-2006, 02:37 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chet 930
I'll bet you guys do. Its been 112 to 115 degrees here where I live the last couple of weeks or so. I'm a little nervous to see what my electricity bill is going to be this month
I would probably curl up on the ground and die in that kind of heat. We tend to get the non stop 95 degrees and 100% humidity for about 3 months straight, lol. Stephen loves hot weather, I love cold weather, so someone is unhappy year round in the shop, with the doors open, lol.

Quick Reply: Thinking tuning is easy? EFI conversion on the Dyno