CV Boot

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CV Boot

I just wanted any of you that might be in the need to replace a CV boot to know that I replaced one today on the car. It wasn't hard but real messy. Getting the old one off was easy and cleaning out the old grease was a snap. However, after I put the new grease in the joint and slid the boot on the shaft it got real hard to get a grip on anything that I touched because of the new grease. The hardest thing I encountered was getting the new boot/joint on the old shaft. And when I did get it on, the small end of the boot was pulled inward so that the clamp flange area was inside the boot. I made a small hook shaped piece of metal and slipped it into the neck of the boot and pulled the flange area out. The last thing that I did not plan on was aligning the bolt holes up with the drivewheel off of the differential. But as long as both wheels are off the ground you can turn the diff. with hog nose pliers. I inspected the CV joint and my ***** were all clean and round,(Aahhs from the girls). It looked like the joint would come apart real easy but I declined to do so. I had the same experience with a clock many years ago!
If you are like me and do not want to do more than you have to, give it a try. The allen head bolts should be your first hurdle. If they come off real easy like mine then you are home free. If I can help any of you with this project just ask.
911Rudy
Old 07-13-2006, 01:16 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed my inner joints for inspection on my 3.2 carrera. My ***** are fine too, they look immaculate, but the outer part they sit in is not. Both sides are like this. There is some pitting.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:19 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nathanUK '81 930 G50
I removed my inner joints for inspection on my 3.2 carrera. My ***** are fine too, they look immaculate, .....
Ummmm - you or the car?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:47 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I'm not too sure I want to go any further with this thread but, its critical if you have a torn boot to get it replaced as soon as possible. The grease gets thrown out of the boot, sand and other pices of abrasive trash get into the CV and then you end up having to rebuild the joints or replacing the axles. I will say though that the Porsche CVs are as well made as any I've ever seen. We had a mechanic that forgot to put grease into the CV before installing the boots. Those CVs ran the entire 24 Hours of Daytona. They were a "little" blue from overheating, and they were of course scrap after the race, but they did not fail. As I remember we finished third in class. The mechanic wasn't so lucky. He was dismissed the next week. No, it wasn't me! Although I've done my fair share of bonehead mistakes. (Ask me about the time I forgot to put the hood clips in on my Spec Racer someday)
Old 07-13-2006, 07:14 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by DonE
Ummmm - you or the car?
Both, thank goodness

I did not buy genuine Porsche joints in the past but they were "Lobro". I think they are in fact the same but not in a Porsche box ? Or is this why they have worn so quickly ?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:28 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

SRF, what happened when you forgot to put your hood clips in on your Spec Racer?

You wanted someone to ask.............

Last edited by JBL930; 07-13-2006 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:00 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an excellent discussion on Pelican regarding CVs. I used the bevelled and sarrated Schnorr locking washers under the heads of new cap screws when I installed my CVs. I bought them from McMaster. So far those screws are tight as the day I installed them. It's also a good idea to check things after a couple of hundred miles...these things have been known to come loose.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...t&pagenumber=2
Old 07-14-2006, 03:32 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Jonathan I can always count on you...well we came around to take the green, we gave it the gas as about 35 SRFs all moved out together. I went into the second corner and the car was horribly loose. My S.O. then calmly asks on the radio as we come back down the main straight, "What happened to the tail?" I searc frantically in the mirrors and there's no tail on the car. I drove the whole enduro like that just dropping back place after place because the car was so loose I was barely moving going through the corners. Everytime I did a lap I was looking for red fiberglass shards which I figured would be the deceased tail's remenets. Of course after the race I took a real bout of abuse about trying to get my car's weight down and etc. Well pretty soon here comes our fire safety truck and he's got my tail intact on the back!. Seems the corner before I noticed the big handling shift the tail flew up about 15 feet in the air over the rest of the whole pack, did a lazy loop and came back to rest right side up on the shoulder of the track. It had enough hang time where everyone got underneath it w/o hitting it. After examining the car to determine the cause of this fiasco, there were the two hood pins sitting snuggly over the radio aerial where they rode the whole race. Boy was my face red! Cheers mate!

Quick Reply: CV Boot