911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Two BOV's or one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:18 AM
ProtoCab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two BOV's or one?

Anyone here running dual BOV's (one before the intercooler and one after)?

Any benefits in running two?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:53 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hhhmmm, that's a new one to me for a single turbo application. I can offer that one of the most critical things to consider if you're looking at tampering with the OEM BOV (replacing it with the long neck type used on the 964 Turbo), is that you must not vent to atmosphere...IF YOU INTEND TO KEEP CIS. I'm told that this causes fluctuations with the fuel/air metering plate and can cause a lean condition if it dumps shut. In other words if you keep CIS, keep the BOV as a recirculating type valve. There are some threads floating around about this.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also heard from reputable tuners/builders that a BOV should not be used with CIS for the same reasons. As for needing one or 2 (assuming EFI is in the equation), there really isn't any reason you'd need more than 1. Some Japanese sports cars have aftermarket twin BOV setups (Supra, Skyline, etc), but this is really just for the "bling" factor. There are plenty of BOV's like the HKS super sequential, HKS racing type 2, etc that can handle anywhere from 36-50psi, so there is no reason you'd ever need 2. Heck, if someone was running over 50psi on their 911, I will personally buy them a BOV!

Quick Reply: Two BOV's or one?