Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Going Super Fast intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:39 PM
BReyes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, the bell option is right there as far as price. It is not about price alone, but cost/benefit. I am reasearching options and will be selecting custom IC too.

Does any body have a matrix enabling us to determine what it is each mfr offers. For example the types of components and corresponding benefits(or negatives) on the Goingsuperfast IC pictured below ( or Bell, or ARE (or ADRAD, or K&J): http://www.goingsuperfast.com/images...rcooler-12.JPG.

For me, reading techincal info is great, yet, since considering only Porsche ICs, I need to narrow down the mfrs who can provide best value on Porsche applications (single & TT).

Regards,
Old 07-08-2006, 02:39 PM
mppickett
Intermediate

Here are the temps measured during the dyno runs yesterday using the GoingSuperFast intercooler. Ambient temp was in the mid 80*s.

idle - 90* F
2800 rpm .25 bar - 90* F
3300 rpm .50 bar - 90* F
3700 rpm .75 bar - 90* F
3900 rpm 1.0 bar - 90* F
5000 rpm 1.1 bar - 92* F
5500 rpm 1.0 bar - 93* F
6000 rpm .99 bar - 95* F
6500 rpm 1.0 bar - 98* F
Old 07-11-2006, 02:27 AM
ProtoCab
Racer

Pretty good results there mppickett

To be honest, I think any full length/bay intercooler will be sufficient and capable of keeping intake air temps down. The massive fans on these engines moves a tonne of air around under the decklid, so as long as you have a full length IC with a good efficient core, you'll be right.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:32 PM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of the problem some of you have is.... were does the air go? It comes in through the side vents or top of the rear wing...then it has to find its way through the intercooler to the top of the motor and around the engine and out the bottom of the car..... 6 years ago we tested the AIR tail I had on my GTR... the Motec ECU can be set up to give a lot of information..we ran the car at Thunderhill with the air strictly coming in through the top of the wing and side vents with no exit strategy...then I cut out exits in the rear of the tail and it made a big difference in the temp.... the opening in the back of the tail seemed to cause a free flow that almost sucked air through the engine compartment. You can push all the air into your engine compartment you want to a huge IC.... but the more round about the exit path the less efficient it all works. I think there is some great conversation here but don't forget about exiting the air you are trying to push through.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:44 PM
911T
Instructor

great point!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:08 AM
rs911t
Instructor

Kevin, exactly what I was trying to get to earlier. Another thread discussed how the engine fan sucked air thru the intercooler in a setup with a standard tail, assuming the I/C was properly shrouded. So what about the GT2 tail? Porsche didn't cut holes in the back, and the I/C was shrouded against the grill. How does air move thru the cooler in this setup?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:34 PM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rs911t
Kevin, exactly what I was trying to get to earlier. Another thread discussed how the engine fan sucked air thru the intercooler in a setup with a standard tail, assuming the I/C was properly shrouded. So what about the GT2 tail? Porsche didn't cut holes in the back, and the I/C was shrouded against the grill. How does air move thru the cooler in this setup?
I am not sure the rules for the EVO allowed them to vent the IC out the back. The rules can get sticky on a homolgation piece...

The bodywork of the race verison was almost identical to the road version...I am not sure about all of this but I know Porsche has run into problems modifying a rear deck/tail on the race versions of their road going counterparts before.They missed a few races in the late 70's because of this and that is why they developed the system with the water to air coolers in the rear fenders after they were protested for modifying a rear deck to accomodate a large IC .Porsche was a master at finding the loop holes so the powers to be stuck it to Porsche every chance they could....

My tech who did all of this on my car in now in New Zealand . I will email him and see if he still has my Motec downloads from those tests so I can provide some hard numbers on the difference between vented and unvented

Quick Reply: Going Super Fast intercoolers