Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough Van. My point being that you are playing at the high end of the bell curve from both a skills/experience perspective as well as funding. We all aspire to be there

Most guys reading the thread are in the middle of the bell curve and the benefits / tradeoffs are a bit different.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:27 PM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you Chuck , good point , well taken .
Old 07-02-2006, 06:35 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Moreland
Too much of the advice in this thread reads like one-size-fits-all. It doesn't.

VZ935 drives .....wait for it....... a 935. And has a lot of racing experience. Coils are the right solution for him and probably a handful of others reading this thread. But these needs are not in line with the vast majority reading this thread.

There is no inherent performance benefit to coil overs. Their advantage is they are easier to change out track-side and can achieve higher wheel rates than tbars. Down side - cost and the need to reinforce the chassis. If you don't plan on running super high rates or changing springs trackside, you will do just as well with tbars.

Bottom line is that coils are right for a few, but the vast majority of the people reading this thread can save their money and stick with tbars.
I think I posted similar advice early on in this thread. The main advantage is the ability to run really high rates, as swapping/setup is not something that the average person (or even club racer) is going to do. For serious track/racing, 700#+ springs are a necessity for nearly every venue, unless your class prohbits this mod. But for a street car, I personally would just stick to TBs.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:00 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
[snip] But for a street car, I personally would just stick to TBs.
I would add, a serious DE'er too. With the rear helper springs on my stiffer TB setup (something like 31mm plus RSR valved shocks), I can easily run strong at the DE and drive it home with no sacrifice to ride. I only adjust the big sway bars.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:31 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Ok, so ~2800lbs, 325rwhp and dunlop slicks. Hmmm. Assuming the suspension is stetup well, I think you might be able to be in the low 2:07s or even high 2:06s. I am basing that off Bob Scotto's 2:05.1 on Dunlop slicks at the Glen race, and VIR is a second of so slower than the Glen. Bob's car is a little lighter, but you've got a bit more power, so net-net probably similar. At the average DE, low 2:09s/high 2:08s is probably the max as you just are not going to get many (if any) clean laps, nor are you going to have many people to run with/chase at that speed.
"A bit more power"? A930Rocket said he had 325rwhp. The 964 Cup is rated at 260 fwhp! The flywheel to flywheel difference might be 120 hp (46%)! I do not think the few hundred pounds can make up that much difference in car performance. If the 964 Cup is going to run with a turbo like that, it has to do so on driver talent.

As for the 1:40 at Road Atlanta: I ran a 1:40.8 in my '94 Turbo in January '05. Stock engine, with sport seats, et al (car ~3200# plus my 210lbs) and everything on MPSCs with the ambient 32 degrees. So that's less power, more weight than A930Rocket and MPSCs which many on this board will tell you suck *** in cold temps. Based on that (and I have the video to prove the time), I think A930Rocket can do much better in his car. Oh, and that was me 1.5 years ago before I started to race. I'm sure I'm faster now. Find good competition and you will improve. It is one of the reasons I bought my Cup: I want to learn from Scotto, Savenor, Burger, and Westerduin!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:42 AM
riverflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by riverflyer
The 1:59 that RSRS reported was very admirable but 1:48. I have a friend who is a very good and experienced driver with a comp coupe and he is only turning in the low/mid 50's.
What kind of setup and mods were you using to turn this time??
the above question was posed much earlier in this thread but unanswered.
I know a radicalSR3 on race tires turning best laps of 154.8, so I ask again, what kind of mods got you to 1:48?
I have heard of times going into the 1:40's just have never been there to see it in person!!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:31 AM
Garen
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
I think I'm running about 2.5 degrees all around at the moment - with 235/315x18 rubber. That camber seems to work well for me and is not too crazy on the street.

The car is quite fast with torsion bars, but it's not all that easy to drive fast. It has a really good setup using 40 year old technology. It is vintage.

Generally the only cars that pass me are using coilovers. And they pass me big time. So there is no question they are better.

However, coilovers are another level of committment. The shock towers in the 911 were never intended to support the weight of the car. If you want your chassis to last you need a lot of reinforcement and preferrably a cage. So in a race car sure. But mine is a street car.

That's my 2¢
Peter
Thanks for the camber #'s Peter, I feel the same way about chassis mods to accept a decent coil-over setup. Mine is a street car as well, and probably won't go to full-tilt race car anytime soon.

-Garen
Old 07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

The car will only need strengthening if you use really hard springs/dampers.

Quick Reply: Suspension mods