Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Oh WTH. Going EFI. Have ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:23 PM
diabolos88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$20mil for 12 months of work?? what is your occupation DonE, and are you hiring? sounds like Im in the wrong field!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:40 AM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Don't get too excited. At 4% yield after direct expenses, that does not leave much for payroll and overhead.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:48 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

That's $20 mil to the customer after you pay $19.99 mil for the product, right Don? I know what you're talking about. Everyone is taking a beating on fuel costs, stainless steel, aluminum and wood causing a margin slash in every sector.

I am more haunted by the high dollar parts and service I buy that ends up being low grade crap. Some call it the "P Tax". You gotta be careful spending money on a "marqued" car. People think you must have money to drive a car like that and they want as much of it as possible.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Chet 930
Racer

I do what I do to my cars because of passion, not because I may lose money in the sale. Hell, if you added up what I have done and what I have got in return on the sale, I'd be committed. Passion has no understanding of cost or return value. But the joy of doing something and doing it well, is what i get as a return

As a person who makes a living in the "Sales" field, your reason here stands to hold very true. Most people dont use logic when making a purchase. The vendor may be selling a service or product, but in reality they are really selling almost everything else other than the service or product itself. The true buying motive people are spending thier dollars on always tends to be things like: pleasure, passion, emotion, status, convenience, quality, ego etc etc. Good sales people will recognize this and capitalize on it. And the Porsche brand easily falls into the non logical purchase. Most people buy and spend on them for every other reason but logic.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:24 AM
DeanM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by m42racer
Agreed. But quality requires time and effort. With the cost of doing business today, you will not find many places offering high end parts unless there is money to be made, and they can cover the costs. They just won't do it. Thats basic economics too.

I do what I do to my cars because of passion, not because I may lose money in the sale. Hell, if you added up what I have done and what I have got in return on the sale, I'd be committed. Passion has no understanding of cost or return value. But the joy of doing something and doing it well, is what i get as a return.

The place I spent my money has a wall hanging poster that reads," The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten".

I'm haunted more today by the money spent that was lost on bad work and poor quality parts, than and amount of money I have spent doing it right.
I totally agree with this, and with what Don E said also.

I get so sick and tired of hearing about how expensive Porshes are and the"P tax". If you don't like how expensive something is then go buy a Yogo and play with that.

Dean

Quick Reply: Oh WTH. Going EFI. Have ???