Giant Killer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:28 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCarrera3.8
Thanks for the comments.
The engine was rebuilt about 35,000 ago and runs very well with no oil leaks. I am running 22/28 torsion bars, factory through the body 18mm sway up front with an 18 rear. The front bilstiens have had the spindles raised 19mm, the rear are bilstien sports. The car is very unstable at speeds in excess of 120mph, especially on decel. I don't want to run a tail so I am going to have to dial in the suspension with coil overs. I also am having a set of special offset 8x15 made to accomodate 245x50x15's on the rear. As far adding an intercooler, I have a few ideas on fitment, but I am not in any hurry. The car is plenty fast at .8 bar and if left alone I can survive without the intercooler, but give me a few months to get used to wrestling the beast and I will probably want to turn the ****. When the time comes I will squeeze the intercooler under the lid. If anyone has pictures of an intercooler install on a non-tail car I would love to see them. The other thing I am looking for is a factory boost **** controller like what was in the 935. Thanks, Barrett
I saw one squeezed under a duck tail, but not under a normal lid.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Win Rice
Advanced

Boy, that is one sneaky little Devil!

Since you already have almost a full RS look, an RS ducktail with an intercooler would really finish it off.

Win
Old 05-09-2006, 06:22 PM
TurboCarrera3.8
AutoX

Getting the weight down was easy. All the panels are metal with the exception of the rear bumper. I deleted everything from the car that is not needed- radio, rear seats, spare/jack, E-brake. I do run heat, but that doesn't add much. The front crossmember is alluminum, but the rear trailing arms are steel. I have been arguing with my friends about the ducktail and I just flat out don't want one. There is lots of room in the engine bay for an intercooler, I just have to look around and find the right one.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Win Rice
Advanced

I recently saw and older 3.0 turbo with an intercooler added to the small space to the right of the throttle body just below the rear deck. He added some fabricated aluminum duct work to bring in the air intake below the engine cover grill, than added an electric fan on top of the intercooler for more flow during warm weather. Looked pretty slick.

Win
Old 05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboCarrera3.8
Getting the weight down was easy. All the panels are metal with the exception of the rear bumper. I deleted everything from the car that is not needed- radio, rear seats, spare/jack, E-brake. I do run heat, but that doesn't add much. The front crossmember is alluminum, but the rear trailing arms are steel. I have been arguing with my friends about the ducktail and I just flat out don't want one. There is lots of room in the engine bay for an intercooler, I just have to look around and find the right one.
I agree, if you can get by without the duck, I say keep the total sleeper look going!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:37 PM
TurboCarrera3.8
AutoX

I found this picture, but I don't know who owns the car.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2006, 08:44 PM
sand_man
Drifting

Yeah I remember that one! Looks like it would have some serious pressure drop issues - from all of that pipe...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:06 PM
strudel
Racer

The second pipe did give it away. I was at meet and pointed the twin pipes out to my wife. Didn't see anyone around the car or I would have come up for a chat. Very cool. We came up in the DP935.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:17 PM
My87Targa
Racer

man i wanna turbo my car sooo badly now
Old 05-09-2006, 11:12 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 156 Posts

I was the one who originally posted that interesting intercooler set-up above, I personally think its very neat and nicely packaged, the cores look very efficient.

Jeff believe it or nor the pressure drop is very low in that set-up and it is much less piping and elbows on modern Turbo cars. I have a formula in the office and do cpmputed generated models that calculates the pressure drop due to a radius'd bend based on the dia...its less than you think.

Anyway that is a sweet car....awesome...I beg for more pictures (engine bay especially) and bring it over to Colorado, I'll design a siiiick intercooler + piping for you and you can play with the boost all you want providing you do not get too zealous!! Some intercooler is better than none....trust me on this...I have played with this for some time and I have a job in this particular area as well (pressure and flow - fluid mechanics).

Great stuff - Yasin
Old 05-10-2006, 01:54 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best is no "Smog"!!!!

The other day I posted a need for an early 3.0L turbo engine. I thought I may have been the first to do this. It appears I'm at best second. Well done.

Its exactly what I'm am going to do. Pre 74 chassis, lightweight, minimal interior, high Torque engine, lots of fun and straight past the smog testing station at WOT!!! Cannot wait.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
sand_man
Drifting

Here's the '74 Turbo project that Henry Schmidt of Supertec built:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=242175
No I/C, though.

I'd listen to Yasin (slownrusty) regarding the I/C, TurboCarrera3.8! He knows this stuff. Take him up on his offer to help. I'd love to see a quality I/C squeezed into that thing with no tail!!!

The I/C in that picture up there looks like a caveman built it! HAHAHA!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeff! Mucho appreciated.

On that IC above...the more efficient way of doing would be to have inlet and outlet on the same side, also that IC above was fab'd welding two smaller ICs together...here is the better way to do it:

Yasin
Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 AM
TurboCarrera3.8
AutoX

Yasin, Thanks for the offer! Where are you in Colorado? The intercooler in the picture is exactly what I have been looking for. What is it out of?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:45 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

I'm in Colorado Springs, CO (1 hour south of Denver).

That IC shown above is actually a very affordable unit and is made by Corky Bell's company - Bell Tech Intercoolers, their URL is:
http://www.bellintercoolers.com/

You want to talk to Gerhard Struff he is the head engineer there (and I think Manager as well) and he was one of the first people to test the 911 Turbo back in the early '70s in Austria, so he is VERY familiar with turbo air cooled motors, he was working for a company (forget the name) that did alot of R&D work for Porsche on the 930.

Well hope that helps...and my offer stands...its my one good deed for the year....LOL

Yasin

Quick Reply: Giant Killer