911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

78-81 Front brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:32 PM
jalexand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78-81 Front brake rotors

Apparently front rotors for the 78-81 930 are either getting hard to find or maybe they were always way high, but at any rate the going rate seems to be about $300.00 a side for replacements. I am wondering if and when the time comes if it would not be better to switch to the later model set up? Anyone done this and if so what is required to make the switch to the later style rotors and how does it figure out cost wise?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe you need to buy the later hubs in order to use the late rotors. Mine are in need of replacement too and I've been looking around for other options, there are a couple out there but none are ideal. Rennsport Systems sells a kit that uses custom hats and turned down Brembo rotors, it is non floating and is supposed to last significanty longer than the OEM rotors - but it costs around $900 (for both sides). VCI makes a similar replacement that uses Coleman rotors but I've heard from several people that they don't last although it is cheaper. I have considered making my own hats and running some aftermarket rotors but I would probably have to sell a few to make it pan out financially and I just don't think there is much of a market for them. The OEM units are a ripoff but they last pretty long so that may be your best bet, Jack Olsen has said his rotors are 6 years old and he does plenty of track events although his car is much lighter than a stock 930.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:58 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW: My Brembo rotors are $315 each. So if you were to upgrade it would basicallying end up being for the purpose of getting bigger rotors/calipers, not necessarily to save money I guess.

I had Coleman rotors, and I only got about 8 days out of them. I now have a set of Brembo rotors that I'm gonna be trying out a MidO this weekend.

Brian
Old 04-18-2006, 07:42 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The initial cost for rotors and hats may seems steep, but then your looking at rotors only after that. I think Steve's rotors are slotted or at least he can get them and I woud go that way vs. OEM with cast holes for longevity. I'm assuming that you keep your stock calipers with his set up. Another thought why they may be turned is to fit the stock caliper. A 993TT rotor won't fit. How much are his rotors once you need to replace them?

Big Reds will run about $1800-1900 for the front only, but unless you are tracking the car or want the bling factor, they are not needed. 993TT rotor are about $200 or so each IIRC.

Quick Reply: 78-81 Front brake rotors