911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

CV Joint replacement & the "C" clips

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 04:24 PM
jalexand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Joint replacement & the "C" clips

Having aquired all the necessary parts to replace the inner CV joints & boots I began the disassembly this morning. Good thing I bought new joints as when I lowered the shafts the ball bearings started dropping out of the old joint. However, I having a problem in removing the "C" clips holding the joints to the shafts. Any tips for getting these off? It is probably more difficult as I am working on only the inner joints and therefore am working in the confined space underneath the car. So far I have attempted prying them with a screw-driver but that doesn't look like it is going to do it.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:21 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pelican website has a step by step proceedure for this task.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
jalexand
Advanced

Thanks, I have several sources of information on this project but none except one indicates how to remove the "c" clips and it mentions a special tool VW...something that I obviously do not have. However, after a little frustration I did manage to get them off and completed the drivers side installation of the new CV Joint and boot this afternoon and left the passenger side for tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:22 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a set of retaining ring pliars. They move so that you can squeeze the c-clip together or apart, depending which way it needs to go. Sears and others sell them. Buy the big and small ones.

What did you do for the Otiker (sp?) clamp?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/catal...e=snapon-store

Here's a pic of a Snap-On:
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 PM
jalexand
Advanced

Well yes, these are common "snap-ring" pliers. However, what I am dealing with on the shafts are called "circlips" and they do not have the little rings within which you can locate the tips of the snapring pliers. However, these are what I did end up using to get the circlips off by wedging the tips of the snapring pliers between the ends of the circlips with enough force to hold them in place and spreading the circlip until I could get a small screwdriver under it to pry it out.

Quick Reply: CV Joint replacement & the "C" clips